Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
This is a well thought out article that sums up the current situation.

<a href="http://streetfightmag.com/2016/02/29/making-sense-of-googles-changes-that-just-blew-up-online-ads-for-local-businesses/">Making Sense of Google?s Changes that Just Blew Up Online Ads for Local Businesses | Street Fight</a>

Small Businesses Who Advertise Locally
Thousands of small businesses currently use Adwords to drive leads, generate phone calls, promote downloads, or achieve any of a dozen common marketing goals. Targeted, relevant, and cost-effective, Adwords were the most obvious place to compete with larger players. Even tiny companies who ran smart campaigns could drive value out of Adwords at lower positions. That?s not going to be the case anymore.

Local SEM Providers
ReachLocal and Yodle, already struggling with harsh churn problems, are going to see their campaigns suffer tremendously.

The article goes on to discuss the impact on specific verticals such as car dealers, insurance and eldercare.

For commentary on the subject from our community see the original discussion here:
<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local/40108-local-impact-4-google-adwords-top.html">Local Impact - 4 Google Adwords on Top</a>

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Pity I didn't scrape a list of adwords advertisers in different cities for my keywords... now would be an amazing time to reach out to business owners left in the dust, and be the expert that makes them aware of the situation and helps them decide on what they're going to do about it. Ah well, c'est la vie. At least there's big aggregate businesses like Yodle and Dex that mainly use adwords to reach out, and it's easy to find business owners currently using services like that.

Unless... I don't suppose anyone knows a way to see adwords advertisers that are currently being outbid and aren't showing?

Either way, cool time to be in the trenches seeing what's shaking loose.

Hope you're using Dragon today Linda, be careful with your hands! I've just started having a little keyboard related issues with my own hands, definitely a good reminder to be mindful about lifestyle for me too.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Bishop Google Webmaster "Average Position" makes no sense! Local Search 1
M Does it make sense to backlink from local citations.... Local Search 7
djbaxter Popular SEO Beliefs That Make No Sense At All Organic SEO 21
Travis Van Slooten When Does It Make Sense To Pay for Premium Placement on Directory Sites? Local Search 14
MatGee Adding Make Appointment Button to GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
Hanzel What would you do to make it in the Google 3 pack for "Personal Injury Lawyers" in Louisville Local Search 2
J How to make someone else admin without losing access? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
lukeelliott Wanted to make a forum post about DNI call tracking. Contact Us Messages 1
L Making a lot of changes Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Vent: Companies are making it harder to invoice Consultant's Corner 9
W Offsite changes to make after switching to SSL Google My Business & Google Maps 35
Zhivko What makes a directory valuable? Citations 26
C Any Evidence Structured Data Schema Makes A Difference? Local Search 3
Ross Barefoot Clients are driving me to make memes Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
KevinWag Exposing address make a difference in getting map pin for SABs? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
A Character Examination Paper: How to Make Your Most loved Saints Come Nearer Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Make Google Chrome Show HTTP and WWW Again in Address Bar Websites, Software, and Security 0
JoyHawkins BBB Makes Big Change to Review Display Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Speed Update: If you have a fast site, making it faster won't boost rankings Organic SEO 3
Eric Shanfelt VIDEO TIP: How to Make a Direct Google Reviews Link Local Reviews 4
Garrett Sussman Want Amazing Reviews? Make a Face-to-Face Request Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Make Sure Your Brand is Telling the Same Story as Your Reviews Local Reviews 6
djbaxter Negative reviews that make you go "Wait. What?" Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
J Facebook?s Places Graph makes 140 million locations available to developers Mobile & Social 4
Travis Van Slooten How to Make an Address Change to Claimed Google Listing (with no access to it) Google My Business & Google Maps 7
R My business not visible in maps after making changes in mapmaker to add suite number Local Search 7
Scott ClientClicks Using mapmaker to remove business name spam. Does a DBA make it OK? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
pbarnhart "Explore" feature in new Google maps makes some interesting recommendations Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Hot Mini Local Linkbuilding Roundup - Ideas to Make Life Easier Local Search 2
djbaxter Google: Continuing to make the web more mobile friendly Mobile & Social 1
James Watt Locksmith spam makes New York Times again Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Linda Buquet Local Video SEO Making You Craz-EO? Here are some tips Marketing 0
Dustybones Mercury In Retrograde Makes us Mad for a few weeks. Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
Dustybones 4 Ways To Make A Patient Friendly Practitioner Page Local Search 3
djbaxter WordPress Plugins to Make your Site Mobile Responsive Mobile & Social 3
djbaxter Social Media Makes Up Nearly A Third Of All Referral Traffic Mobile & Social 6
Gsmithmike Dedicated Local IP? - Does IP make any differences in ranking? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
M Google makes Global Address Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Your Local Business Schema Sucks - Make it Better - David Deering - Whitespark Local Search 0
Linda Buquet LATEST: Confirmed Google Update: Pigeon Makes a Christmas Flight Overseas Google My Business & Google Maps 14
H 60% of consumers never make it to SMB website - find info elsewhere Local Search 4
T Making edits to a currently verified Google listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Mark Warner Making The Case to Thank Spammers Organic SEO 1
Linda Buquet Why ?Barnacle SEO? Is Making A Big Comeback In Local - David Mihm Local Search 3
kevinjwiles Do Specific Location landing Pages make the difference? Local Search 10
Margaret Ornsby Google maps - one word makes that much difference? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
G facing legal action for a fake bad review of a business I used to own. I didn't make Recycle Bin 0
L New Google SAB Update + Don't Make this Frightful Mistake! Service Area Businesses 10