Reaction score
We all have to deal with 404 errors. Matt covers 404 and 410 errors and how to use them.

Google?s head of search spam, Matt Cutts, posted a video today explaining the difference in how Google handles 404 and 410 error status codes.
Both 404 and 410s are errors for a web page or document not being available, however a 410 is defined as ?gone? forever. So 410s are more of an explicit response from the server telling you a page is really gone.
Google handles them slightly differently. With a 404, and some of the other 4xx status codes, Google will ?protect? the page and not mark it as removed for about 24 hours. With a 410 status code, Google will mark the page as gone as soon as the error is noticed by GoogleBot.

READ MORE

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Matt Cutts: You still got it, Matt. Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Linda Buquet Friday Fun Cartoon - Where is Matt Cutts? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
djbaxter Matt Cutts on SEO: A Retrospective Organic SEO 1
Linda Buquet Matt Cutts Taking Leave of Absence from Google Organic SEO 1
Dustybones MATT CUTTS: Understanding the quality of a webpage that doesn't have links Local Search 2
Dustybones Matt Cutts on How Google tests its Algorithm Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Dustybones Matt Cutts wisdom on how to figure out what Algorithm you have been hit with Local Search 0
djbaxter Matt Cutts: Don't build links using article directories Organic SEO 1
djbaxter Matt Cutts Short Cutts Organic SEO 2
djbaxter Matt Cutts: What percentage of PageRank is lost through a 301 redirect? Organic SEO 0
tpraja Re: Matt Cutts on Negative SEO: Implications for Local Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Matt Cutts and Othar Hansson on How to Establish Authorship Organic SEO 3
djbaxter Matt Cutts on Negative SEO: Implications for Local Organic SEO 0
Y Re: Matt Cutts Works on Christmas - Says Press Release Links Don't Count Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Matt Cutts does Jurassic Park Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 4
Linda Buquet Matt Cutts Works on Christmas - Says Press Release Links Don't Count Organic SEO 10
djbaxter Matt Cutts blasts snake oil SEO Organic SEO 5
Colan Nielsen More Cursing From Matt Justice Mod Squad 8
Brian Cutts Recommends Google Consumer Surveys Local Search 1
SpectateSwamp How about discussing local search... Like the Spectate one; everything a 50+ years of programming Geezer wants Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
keyserholiday Webinar 4/3 to discuss GMB and Covid-19 Events 3
JustinB Discussion: Local Link Building and Citations LLB Guide Local Search 1
M Latitude-Longitude Discussion Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Google Open Invite: Google My Business Discussion Panel at the Plex Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JoyHawkins Discussion: How Do You Choose Which Keywords to Target on the Homepage? Local Search 17
Linda Buquet Mojopages Rebrands as Local Stack & Pros Discuss Best Citations Citations 0
Linda Buquet Pros Discuss: How to Get Google My Business to show your Preferred Image Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet How To Embed a Google Local Map the Easy Way - Local Pros Discuss Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Local Search Pros Discuss: Weekly Hours? Sales Activity vs Account Work? Consultant's Corner 1
Linda Buquet Are the days of $2,000 a month Local SEO clients over? Local Search Pros Discuss Consultant's Corner 0
Dustybones Mike Blumenthal discusses reviews and how they motivate consumers Local Reviews 1
Linda Buquet Chad Discussion Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 10
Phil Rozek Linda's Typo Discussion Removed Recycle Bin 2
A New Google Maps - The Pros Discuss Ramifications for Local SEO Google My Business & Google Maps 12