More threads by Matt Chauhan

Matt Chauhan

Reaction score
We are working with an auto detailing business in Washington. They are a home-based business and we have set service areas in their Google Business profile and they seem to be ranking well locally. Now the client wishes to open some facilities/stores around their service area.

Q1- According to the guidelines of Google, are we allowed to create GBP for their facilities?
Q2- If yes, Which GBP profile will have the advantage? The current one with home-based (hidden address) and service areas set OR a Brick & Mortar GBP with service areas set.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting on the forum. If the business will be making in-person contact at that location with customers during its stated hours, and you can verify the business with a postcard to the address, then yes they will be eligible GBP for their facilities/stores.

There are a few things to consider when determining what will rank:
  • How big is the service area?
  • Will the facilities offer the same products/services as the current home-based listing? same main category?
  • How much authority does the current listing have in the entire services area? (i.e. does it rank as well on the outskirts of the service area as it does in the center?)
  • is there a lot of competition in the area?
Depending on how old the current listing is, how many reviews it has, and how much authority it has in the eyes of Google I would expect the new listings will not rank above the current listing at first. Over time as you get reviews and authority for the new listings, they may start to rank better closer to their physical address. Take a look here at how proximity is more impactful to Google rankings after The Vicinity Update in November 2021 => The Vicinity Update: What You Need to Know About Google's Largest Local Algorithm Update in 5 Years - Sterling Sky Inc

Also, take a look at this thread on a multi-location business that was having trouble ranking both of their locations. It's important to avoid filtering as best you can if the locations are close to each other. Another good resource on filtering here => Is Your Google My Business Listing Getting Filtered? - Sterling Sky Inc

Hope this helps :)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting on the forum. If the business will be making in-person contact at that location with customers during its stated hours, and you can verify the business with a postcard to the address, then yes they will be eligible GBP for their facilities/stores.

There are a few things to consider when determining what will rank:
  • How big is the service area?
  • Will the facilities offer the same products/services as the current home-based listing? same main category?
  • How much authority does the current listing have in the entire services area? (i.e. does it rank as well on the outskirts of the service area as it does in the center?)
  • is there a lot of competition in the area?
Depending on how old the current listing is, how many reviews it has, and how much authority it has in the eyes of Google I would expect the new listings will not rank above the current listing at first. Over time as you get reviews and authority for the new listings, they may start to rank better closer to their physical address. Take a look here at how proximity is more impactful to Google rankings after The Vicinity Update in November 2021 => The Vicinity Update: What You Need to Know About Google's Largest Local Algorithm Update in 5 Years - Sterling Sky Inc

Also, take a look at this thread on a multi-location business that was having trouble ranking both of their locations. It's important to avoid filtering as best you can if the locations are close to each other. Another good resource on filtering here => Is Your Google My Business Listing Getting Filtered? - Sterling Sky Inc

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, Elizabeth! This certainly helps us in making an informed decision.

Q1- According to the guidelines of Google, are we allowed to create GBP for their facilities?
If it's a storefront, yes. If it's a service area business listing (no storefront), see this article.

Q2- If yes, Which GBP profile will have the advantage? The current one with home-based (hidden address) and service areas set OR a Brick & Mortar GBP with service areas set.
It doesn't sound like these listings will be competing. If they're not in the same area they're not going to be ranking in the same area. A listing ranks based on the location it was verified with so you aren't likely to be competing unless these locations are really close together and in the same town.

For branded searches, the older listing would likely have preference as Liz mentioned.

Hi Joy, that's really helpful. I read the article you referred to above for service area business listing.
From the article, the employee note makes sense. As for the 2-hour driving situation, does this essentially mean that we can only open a different location if it is 2 hours away even if we own/lease a property that is within 2 hours?

Overall, this is all great feedback!

From the article, the employee note makes sense. As for the 2-hour driving situation, does this essentially mean that we can only open a different location if it is 2 hours away even if we own/lease a property that is within 2 hours?
This is a general recommendation but not a guideline that I've seen enforced whatsoever. Just make sure the service areas don't overlap whatsoever.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom