More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Just noticed that you can now manually add a "Located In" directly to a GMB listing. Previously, contacting GMB support was the only way to do this.

Time to test it out.

Has anyone else seen this?

located within.jpg

I wanted to add a note that I only see this on the Knowledge Panel if you edit directly in search. Pulling up the listing on Google Maps and suggesting an edit there doesn't trigger it.

Greg (Maps TC) also pointed out it's there on the Google Maps app on Android.

I tested this on a few kiosk listings near the end of August but the edits are still pending. And I looked at the listings in 'check the facts' from a different account after making the edit. My pending edits weren't present so doesn't seem like it's working.

I noticed last week that for a client that has 11 locations, 2 of the locations specified which mall they were in. I don't recall specifying this so thought Google figured it out on their own :)

I've seen it recently as Google is doing a push for department listings within automotive. Like others, edits I have suggested there have never gone through. Contacting support still gets department listings nested properly within a day.

So far every listing I've edited and added this feature too hasn't gone live yet so I'm wondering if it's one of those features that got launched before it's actually functional...

So far every listing I've edited and added this feature too hasn't gone live yet so I'm wondering if it's one of those features that got launched before it's actually functional...

or not rolled out to us in Canada yet? I'm unable to trigger it.

I've seen it here in the UK. I was curious about how it might affect things for my business. I had a run in with GMB support last year when my profile was almost delisted. They said 1 business at 1 address. My business involves subletting space on an hourly basis to therapists for their therapy sessions.
I have had to tell all other therapists that they can not use my main address for my wellness centre for fear of Google delisting the main GMB listing for the centre. There is a similar business a mile away who offers therapy space for hire and people have created GMB profiles using the same address but with different business names and phone numbers. They are breaking the 1 address, 1 business rule but seem to get away with it.
If I use the "located within" option on my listings and have the therapists all have their own listing located within my wellness centre would that now be OK? Do they each need separate doors so they have their own rooms? Would the located within listings all have to be very different or if three counsellors wanted to be listed would the different business names and address be sufficient?
I am terrified that if I do anything to change my current set up that it would mess everything up but finding accurate info is hard. I also don't want to call GMB support phone line because then I will end up telling them that my business is not 1 business at 1 address and that there are actually others all using the same space at different times on different days!

Sorry for the very long 1st post! ;-)

but seem to get away with it.
There is no getting away with it because more listings sharing the same category at the same address just means Google is going to filter most of them. If anything they're doing themselves a huge disservice by creating their own competition.
If I use the "located within" option on my listings and have the therapists all have their own listing located within my wellness centre would that now be OK?
It's okay but not recommended. I only suggest creating practitioner listings if you have different categories to utilize on them.

One of my all-time favorite geniuses (@TomW) figured this out. Quoting him: "I just got a "located in" edit to publish. I moved the marker to inside the store (it was showing it in the street). So I made the suggestion for located in and pin location at the same time and it published immediately."

I tried the same thing on a RedBox (moving it inside a CVS) and it published!

I redid my Starbucks edit but it's still pending.

Hah, now that makes total sense!

I used it for a new business this week and it is live. It's a yoga studio (separate business) inside a pilates studio.

Thank you for making it easier to identify ineligible listings "Located In" feature. That saved some time and effort.

regus.jpg
Law Firm - Located in: Regus...are virtual offices now allowed? I know that it is "unless that office is staffed during business hours" but how will Google verify this?

Law Firm - Located in: Regus...are virtual offices now allowed? I know that it is "unless that office is staffed during business hours" but how will Google verify this?

I've looked at a couple hundred listings that have been set up at a Regus office over the last couple years and I've yet to find one Law Firm that actually has staff at a Regus office during the stated hours.

Ditto to what Colan said. I escalate threads for virtual offices to Google over at the GMB for and they always get removed.

That has been my experience as well. VO's have been abused by Lawyers and Drive companies and so many other categories so often that the trust level is non-existent. Even though some lawyers do use them to meet clients, almost all the time it is just being used to game maps.

I have only run into one company that trained the Regus staff, and they were still not reinstated.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom