Andy

Reaction score
Dear all, what is your best advice about where to position reviews widgets on a local (dentist) web site?

The main landing page for small local web sites is the home page, so my understanding is that these kinds of widgets should be positioned as high as possible on the home page because they provide the best social proof? After that, I would position them again on any other landing pages or money pages (for instance dental implants, teeth whitening etc...)?

Your thoughts?

Best

Andy

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@Andy, some suggestions and points to consider:

1. If it's the kind of widget people need to click on before they can be impressed, you'll probably want to put it high up on the page. Then install a tool like Mouseflow to study how people end up interacting with it.

2. If it's large or sometimes loads slowly (or both), maybe have it below the fold. So it doesn't block the early rendering.

3. If there's a very good chance searchers saw those reviews in the SERPs right before they clicked through to your homepage or other landing page, I'd say the review widget doesn't need to be as visible.

4. If it's a testimonials slider or other kind of testimonials widget - rather than a widget for reviews on a third-party site (e.g. Google Maps) - then I wouldn't make it too visible. Because a site owner can choose which testimonials show up on the site, they're inherently not as much of a "social proof" element.

No matter what, I'd hook up Mouseflow (or a similar tool) and just see how people take to the widget.

Andy

Reaction score
@Phil Rozek - thank you for your thorough explanations, very kind of you indeed.

One last question: would you place the widget on the other pages besides the home page? For instance, on every service page, just before the would-be customer (patient in this case, since it is a dentist) takes the decision to book an appointment? Best Andy

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Sure thing, @Andy. My best answer (but probably the most frustrating one) is: it depends on what kind of widget it is.

If it's big or slow-loading, probably not.

If it's a testimonials slider, probably not.

If it doesn't show would-be patients reviews relevant to the specific treatment described on the page, probably not.

If you have the ability to pick which reviews the widget shows (or links to), then probably.

If you tried putting it on the homepage and determined that people pay attention to it, then probably.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Rich Owings Does "near me" optimization bring more organic or GMB clicks? Organic SEO 4
C Help with service page optimization Organic SEO 20
Ben Walsh Near me on page optimization Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
djbaxter Passage Indexing: Not A Core Update. It's Ranking, Not Indexing. Don't Optimize For It Google Algorithm Discussions 0
F Optimizing for local and online - broader areas? Local Search 0
Monica Simpson Optimizing Name - do citations matter? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
Nicole Basham Multi-service Service Area Business: GMB Optimization Advice Needed Service Area Businesses 2
S GMB image optimization - Worth it? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A What Wordpress Speed Optimizing Plugins do you use? Websites, Software, and Security 7
M Google Optimize? Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
bruce@brucejone Optimizing Images For GMB - Things Have Changed Google My Business & Google Maps 8
dave101 Looking for an SEO consultant with experience optimizing IT support companies Local SEO Job Board 1
dave101 Anyone have experience with optimizing IT Support companies? Service Area Businesses 0
Vincent Tobiaz Recent Study 3.6 min acceptable rating & 4.9 being most optimal Google My Business & Google Maps 3
BipperMedia How do you optimize for a specific kw please? Recycle Bin 0
S Review Request - Business Card - Text optimization? Google My Business & Google Maps 24
M How do you optimize for a specific kw please? Local Search 46
Paul Kargo Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Recycle Bin 5
M Optimizing GMB questions please Google My Business & Google Maps 34
vivekrpatel Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Local Content 7
Justin Mosebach TripAdvisor Optimization Tips? Local Search 8
vinchenson Would you change the name of a listing that is not optimized? Local Search 4
J Customer requesting help with SEO optimization for "Customer Name" Keyword Ranking Google Local 101 9
LilyRayNYC Practitioner page consistently outranking main biz page despite being less optimized Ranking Puzzles 2
M What info needs to go into optimized image?? Local Search 7
Tim Colling Home Care Voice Search Optimization: Alexa Echo Show 2 vs. Google Home Hub (The Winner is Yelp) Local Search 4
L Help optimize google my business Contact Us Messages 2
C Who REALLY Knows How Much "Optimization" Is Just Wheel Spinning Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Garrett Sussman How To Help Your Clients Optimize Their Review Site Listings [FREE PDF DOWNLOAD] Local Reviews 2
A New(ish) SEO and Website Optimization company Recycle Bin 0
Gsmithmike How do you optimize Local Landing pages? Organic SEO 8
Linda Buquet The Optimal Local Landing Page For Attorneys - NiftyLaw Local Search 1
Garrett Sussman How to Fully Optimize Your Google My Business Listing Local Reviews 0
Ryan77 100's of Page 1 Rankings Already - How To Better Optimize The Home Page? Local Search 11
James Watt Google's new mobile testing tool, plus some mobile optimization tips Local Search 1
bczubiak Is Your OnPage Optimization Working? Track Your Ranking Changes With Automation Consultant's Corner 3
L Bulk Optimizing Images - Wordpress Organic SEO 3
Linda Buquet Experts Share Tips: How to Optimize your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L Optimizing Image Galleries Organic SEO 4
JoyHawkins How to Optimize 2 Locations in the Same City Local Search 5
bczubiak Non-English Website Optimization Local Search 3
Colan Nielsen Local Finder Photo Optimization Tips Google My Business & Google Maps 14
M Multiple location optimization Multi-Location Issues 4
M Multiple location optimization Multi-Location Issues 4
L Multi-Location Local SEO: Problems & Optimization Tips - 2 Part Series Multi-Location Issues 4
Linda Buquet Multi-Location Local SEO: Problems & Optimization Tips - 2 Part Series Multi-Location Issues 4
Linda Buquet Optimize for the NEW Local Centroid - The User! Miriam Ellis @ Moz Local Search 1
Linda Buquet 7 Under-the-Hood SEO Optimization Techniques | Neil Patel - Search Engine Journal Organic SEO 0
L Image Optimization Local Search 9
M Client's site is over-optimized (urls, footer, anchors). Need advice! Local Search 11