More threads by cleverlyengaged

Solutions
Reaction score
I have a specific question, a client of mine that has multiple locations, all with unique business names, phone numbers and addresses and websites is wanting to know why they don't have See Locations at the top in Google Maps. See below for an example.

1676347255477.jpg

I checked their GMB profiles and they all have the same owner listed on the account. They also claim to have a business group created. Their business names are unique, but similar to the above example.

Any ideas how this is generated?

Solution
I don't think location groups or listing owners have anything to do with this feature (I could be wrong thought).

All of the listings in your example have "david weekley homes" in the business name, that could be a contributing factor. Do your client's business names have a common phrase in them?

They also all seem to link to the same domain, which sounds like your client is not. This could be another contributing factor you can influence.
I don't think location groups or listing owners have anything to do with this feature (I could be wrong thought).

All of the listings in your example have "david weekley homes" in the business name, that could be a contributing factor. Do your client's business names have a common phrase in them?

They also all seem to link to the same domain, which sounds like your client is not. This could be another contributing factor you can influence.

Solution
Thanks for the feedback. I found another example.
  • Johnson Development Corp out of Houston is a competitor with See Locations.
    • Each community uses different categories either (real estate developer or housing development)
    • Each community has a unique website
    • Most communities end in, by Johnson Development, although 4 communities end in by Johnson Development Corp, which is the main entity and legal name.
    • Notably, the CTA is Johnson Development See locations vs. Johnson Development Corp See locations

My advice to the client was to connect all GMB profiles to a single Adwords account. And update the GMB names to use the same ending, similar to "by Johnson Development"

That, and does the company have a knowledge panel? The Johnson Development Corp. does. I could not find one for david weekley homes company but if Google has a company in their knowledge graph, they can potentially connect different locations the business operates out of, even if they have different names.

I think there is testing potential here to see if that is even something SEO can influence.

That, and does the company have a knowledge panel? The Johnson Development Corp. does. I could not find one for david weekley homes company but if Google has a company in their knowledge graph, they can potentially connect different locations the business operates out of, even if they have different names.

I think there is testing potential here to see if that is even something SEO can influence.

Agree. In other words, it's a SERP feature interaction thing. While it can happen, it's very unusual to see both a knowledge panel and a Local top-3 (even then you'd likely see a top-3 and an option to show the panel). David Weekley lacking the panel basically clears the way for local search results to appear (their corporate office is somewhere down the list in the finder).

Thanks
Agree. In other words, it's a SERP feature interaction thing. While it can happen, it's very unusual to see both a knowledge panel and a Local top-3 (even then you'd likely see a top-3 and an option to show the panel). David Weekley lacking the panel basically clears the way for local search results to appear (their corporate office is somewhere down the list in the finder).

Just to clarify, you are under the opinion a knowledge panel is necessary for this feature as well? That kind of makes sense.

Although The Johnson Development Corp. is the name of the knowledge panel entity, while the See Locations feature has Johnson Development

The client I am working with does not have a knowledge panel. They have a lot of backlink authority, but have splintered their brand name into many subsidiaries and websites that all fit under the same category of Real Estate Developer.

What confuses me is... where's the call to action? It's just a dropdown search option to list locations. Not very different from, say, a keyword suggestion.

I was misreading the situation and thinking your client was showing local results and wanted a knowledge panel (or possibly vice-versa). What you're actually saying is that Google fails to recognize that these various GBPs are, in fact, part of the same brand, is that correct?

You are right, not necessarily a call to action, but a keyword suggestion. The client is under the impression that it means Google fails to understand their brand. Which I agree.

Correct, the various GBP are part of the same brand, yet Google doesn't recognize it. Upon further review, they do not have a corporate knowledge panel and they also have unique Adwords accounts for each GBP.

Brand matters are rather outside my area of expertise, but instinct goes to make sure a) brand name is present in every GBP's name and b) there's a corporate page somewhere listing all the locations/communities.

Beyond that I don't think I can help aside from having clarified what the question was about, I'm afraid. I'd strongly recommend rewording your thread title as it is likely to make people who know about this stuff to overlook it.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom