Shelly

Reaction score
I work with an official county tourism office for a very popular destination and found a city level local listing that is claimable, only via postcard, and the address is a street intersection with no street number. I clearly can't send a postcard here and I feel like our tourism office should have control of this listing since the town is the most visited in the county. I also don't want to use the tourism offices address since we have that claimed and I don't want them marked as duplicates.

The main reason we would like to claim is we have direct competitors that market the region as a source of income (unlike our agency which is driven by state tax dollars) and it is their website which is currently linked to the website button. I have tried suggesting changes with no luck in the past and I am thinking the only way to change it is through claiming.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to get this updated?

Shelly

Reaction score
HI @Shelly , Have you tried claiming already and only got the postcard option? One thing you can try is to claim, but select that you want to "verify later". Go into the "info" tab, correct the address and request the postcard.
I did try claiming and yes, only postcard verification was available. I did click verify later but was concerned that if I changed the address to the same as our tourism office (which is located in a different town since it is county-level tourism) the listing might get filtered due to duplicate listings as our tourism office listing.

Shelly

Reaction score
This is the tourism office listing which we have verified and manage (minimally): Warren County Tourism Department

This is the listing in question. This town is the hub of the county and gets over 3 million visitors every summer alone. The website link is to a competitor who uses their website to promote the region for monetary reasons, which is why I would like to get ownership of the listing.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Oh wow, interesting okay I think I get it now. If this person has somehow managed to get their website onto this listing and it shouldn't be, it's basically a hijacked listing. I would actually use the redressal form to get the website updated.

Shelly

Reaction score
@Colan Nielsen Thank you. I was thinking that claiming would be the best option as a way to lock it down, but I just couldn't figure out a good method to do it. I will try the redressal and hope for the best.
As always, you all are super helpful!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D How to properly form site structure for power washing company that serves 10 towns? Local Search 6
Shelly Opinions wanted: Answering Q&A on another GMB panel (within a different category) as a business in the same town Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Paul Stevens Businesses from 120 miles away showing up three-pack for searches that name local town Local Search 20
D Name of town/city in keyword phrase Recycle Bin 0
koji Name of town/city in keyword phrase Local Search 5
eshad Keyword tracking for nearby towns Local Search 4
JMcD Rural Locations with Town Addresses Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Similar h1 tags but different towns ? Local Search 3
D Is a SBB targeting a town 20 miles away realistic? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Noelle Leahy Tool to Find Keyword Search Volumes for a Small Town? Google Local 101 6
H Out of Town Brokers Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A How to enter towns in Service Areas Service Area Businesses 10
H Why do these three out of town lawyers show up high? Ranking Puzzles 18
whiz Ranking with an address outside of town? Local Search 4
A Google My Business - Service Area Towns Local Search 9
H Opening an office in a new town. . . new site, or same site Local Search 4
Jim Froling Google Home Shopping Ads Coming to LA! Is Your Town Next? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
C Two town problem Local Search 3
JoyHawkins How Bad is Spam in Your Town? Google My Business & Google Maps 17
L Easy Win! How to Build out Small Town Local Landing Pages - The Magistrate Multi-Location Issues 3
Linda Buquet Easy Win! How to Build out Small Town Local Landing Pages - The Magistrate Multi-Location Issues 3
Dustybones STUDY: Is Google + Becoming a ghost town? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
accessted Having two listings in different towns with same name Google My Business & Google Maps 2
L Small town where USPS will not deliver mail Service Area Businesses 3
Lloyd Silver Small town where USPS will not deliver mail Service Area Businesses 3
W Business Moving a Town Away Moving or Name Changes 0
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Business Moving a Town Away Moving or Name Changes 0
Travis Van Slooten Businesses in Small Town Can Only Accept Mail Via P.O. Boxes - How To Verify? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
F Can I move into multiple towns through building a stronger listing? Local Search 38
Silkstream Listing a business in more than one town. Local Search 6
Linda Buquet For A Ghost Town, Google+ Sure Grew A Lot Last Month - Wonder if SMBs Helped? Local Search 2
S Schalk here from Cape Town, South Africa Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 2
Bernadette Coleman Looking For High Level PPC Expert. Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
NexstarNickR Spam Levels in Home Services Verticals All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
hajnasiewicz Welcome to the Bronze Level of Google’s Product Experts Program Help & Support for Google Local 11
M Google Ads Defaulting to Account Level Call Reporting on 9-9-19 Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
Digitaldar Agency Level Efficiencies? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Linda Buquet Emulate Location to Street Level to Check Google Local Rankings - Chrome Extension Local SEO Tools & Software 2
D Multilanguage Learning Chat bot with multi-level logic Recycle Bin 0
H Do you Offer Packages for different levels of SEO? Consultant's Corner 3
R State-level Business Registrations - Good for Rankings? Local Search 27
Linda Buquet Ground Truth: Discover the Deeper Levels of Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Dustybones Taking your Citation Audit / Cleanup to the next level Recycle Bin 1
R Rankings really low after suspension and delete/recreate of GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Chris Ratchford Google Ads- Local Pack- one GMB location only? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
rich_marlatt Sharing Medical Patient UGC on GMB Post Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Seems like someone is trying to Steal my clients GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Annika Neudecker Should you use more than 5 GMB categories? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Hammer GMB listing, can't find out who owns or request access All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5