More threads by Shelly

Shelly

Reaction score
I work with an official county tourism office for a very popular destination and found a city level local listing that is claimable, only via postcard, and the address is a street intersection with no street number. I clearly can't send a postcard here and I feel like our tourism office should have control of this listing since the town is the most visited in the county. I also don't want to use the tourism offices address since we have that claimed and I don't want them marked as duplicates.

The main reason we would like to claim is we have direct competitors that market the region as a source of income (unlike our agency which is driven by state tax dollars) and it is their website which is currently linked to the website button. I have tried suggesting changes with no luck in the past and I am thinking the only way to change it is through claiming.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to get this updated?

HI @Shelly , Have you tried claiming already and only got the postcard option? One thing you can try is to claim, but select that you want to "verify later". Go into the "info" tab, correct the address and request the postcard.

HI @Shelly , Have you tried claiming already and only got the postcard option? One thing you can try is to claim, but select that you want to "verify later". Go into the "info" tab, correct the address and request the postcard.
I did try claiming and yes, only postcard verification was available. I did click verify later but was concerned that if I changed the address to the same as our tourism office (which is located in a different town since it is county-level tourism) the listing might get filtered due to duplicate listings as our tourism office listing.

I'm not sure I fully understand. Would it be the same category as the existing one that you are referring to? If it is then it sounds to me like it's just a duplicate listing right?

This is the tourism office listing which we have verified and manage (minimally): Warren County Tourism Department

This is the listing in question. This town is the hub of the county and gets over 3 million visitors every summer alone. The website link is to a competitor who uses their website to promote the region for monetary reasons, which is why I would like to get ownership of the listing.

Oh wow, interesting okay I think I get it now. If this person has somehow managed to get their website onto this listing and it shouldn't be, it's basically a hijacked listing. I would actually use the redressal form to get the website updated.

@Colan Nielsen Thank you. I was thinking that claiming would be the best option as a way to lock it down, but I just couldn't figure out a good method to do it. I will try the redressal and hope for the best.
As always, you all are super helpful!

Redressal form should solve the incorrect website issue. If you wanted to claim the listing still then you'll likely need to contact support.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom