Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
At one of my clients, the CEO instructed my counterpart (their Chief Strategy Officer) to register a domain name with their toll-free number, like this:

8001234567.com

...except that their toll-free number is different from those numbers.

They don't especially promote themselves nor brand themselves with that toll-free number, it's just the number for their inbound call center.

Is anyone aware of a valid SEO or other online marketing reason for doing that?

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
That's a new one...

The only reason I can think of is to make sure they show up when someone searches for the phone number (wouldn't be effective, but he might be thinking it would be), or to protect the brand and prevent someone else from using that domain.

Greg Schueler

Reaction score
There would be zero SEO benefit of just registering the domain. Google doesn't index or show search results for registered domains. They would need to build a site (or a landing page) with the number on it to get it indexed. (But if the number is on their main site, then they probably already show up for a search of that number).

It could be used for marketing purposes if they wanted to use it in advertising and just redirect it to their site. But I would guess better results advertising their actual branded domain name.

Conor Treacy

Reaction score
There was an article I read last week about a company in China that didn't own their own brand name for their website, and instead, they purchased the phone number. Maybe they read the same article?

The only reason why I would consider registering it would be as @Cherie Dickey mentioned, and the protection of the brand.

I'd bet you'd still need to SEO it in some manner to get it to show in search results though.

denis76682

Reaction score
That's a new one...

The only reason I can think of is to make sure they show up when someone searches for the phone number (wouldn't be effective, but he might be thinking it would be), or to protect the brand and prevent someone else from using that domain.
This is true

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Got a brand domain but should I register a PMD to help rank ? Any advice please :-) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
O Apple Business Register Stuck in Pending Organic SEO 2
G Registering a DBA name as a Search Term Spam on Google 5
Lluc Apple Business Register Feedback And Recommendations Local Search 16
Jen Currier Registered Agent Service & PO Box for SAB Companies in CA Service Area Businesses 2
J I want to register in this forum Contact Us Messages 1
F Can't Register Contact Us Messages 1
G How to register for local search forums Contact Us Messages 0
B Please register me for forum Contact Us Messages 2
T register? Contact Us Messages 1
J Re: Register my self on this forum Contact Us Messages 1
A Looking to register my account Contact Us Messages 1
G Removal of name from JP register Contact Us Messages 1
P Need to register Contact Us Messages 1
K Register Button Contact Us Messages 1
J Registering Issues Contact Us Messages 1
J Just registered an account Contact Us Messages 2
T Please manually register me Contact Us Messages 1
djbaxter Davis tried to register another account Mod Squad 0
Ray Litvak Keywords/Phrases in Registered Business Names & Trademark Infringement Consultant's Corner 1
D Hello. just registered. Recycle Bin 0
L Is Local SEO for newly registered businesses getting harder? Consultant's Corner 3
Linda Buquet Reminder: Advanced On-site Local SEO Webinar - Register today! Local Search 0
A Any downsides to registering your business on Google+ Local? Local Search 4
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
djbaxter Google: Moz Spam Score, Domain Authority Does Not Impact Google Rankings Organic SEO 1
Dana Franks Rankings crash after new site - is it the domain? Organic SEO 3
hajnasiewicz Issues with multiple domain redirects to one domain? Websites, Software, and Security 4
djbaxter Google: We Still Use PageRank. We do not use Domain Authority. Organic SEO 0
H Two GMB Locations One Website = Two DNS Domains? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
U Spam / Scam .it domains and sub domains flooding Google results pages Spam on Google 6
Conor Treacy Google showing only domain name in results (when not logged in) Local Search 2
H Biz with a product specific domain - should they have two sites? Local Search 2
djbaxter The Truth About Domain Authority Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Age of domain name or content irrelevant to Google ranking Organic SEO 4
Justin Mosebach GrubHub is buying web domains for the restaurants it lists Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Preferred Domain in Google Search Console deprecated Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
georgebizpro Google June Broad Core Update Case Study: Keyword-rich domains back on the rise? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
S How to get a DNS-verified Search Console domain to connect with Google Analytics? Organic SEO 3
georgebizpro Redirect https domain to another https website Organic SEO 11
Fairlane Problems/Delays Getting New Referring Domains/Backlinks Indexed Local Search 1
Dana Franks Parked domains generating thousands of links Spam on Google 3
Gsmithmike Sub Domain or Sub Category for Location pages? Local Search 1
N Not displaying anymore on Google Maps unless domain name (business name) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
djbaxter Google: There is no SEO advantage to keyword domains Organic SEO 6
djbaxter EU to cancel UK owned .eu domains Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
F Multiple domains..The only logical way for multiple sab's? Service Area Businesses 5
F Multiple domains..The only logical way for multiple sab's? Service Area Businesses 5