More threads by Curlsnswirls

Curlsnswirls

Reaction score
Hi All,

My adwords rep (I know, not a great source) strongly, strongly insists that I employ broad match keywords in my Branded Search Campaign.
I've been burned time and time again by broad match. I have slowly come around to it for my other search campaigns. (Carefully, long tail, combined with lots of exact match and good negative keywords).

But with my branded campaign, I just don't see how this helps me. I only want my branded campaign to trigger when people search for my company. Not my competitors, and not for services we perform.

My adwords rep insists that we aren't coming up when people search my company name + a particular service. But a few months ago I did run broad match of my company name, and I got people searching my competitors.

For example:
Let's say my company name is Wayne Roofing (it's not).
I want all possible searches for Wayne Roofing:

Wayne Roofing
Wayne Roofing Repair
Wayne Roofing Reviews
etc

When I employ broad match, I see search terms like:
Marcus Roofing
Roofing company near me

And yet, Adwords rep is hardcore pushing broad match. I'd rather do exact and phrase match of my company name and all the possibilities I can think of for those variations. I already see variations with the phrase and exact match keywords I use. It seems like a broad match would actually lower my ranking, because now I'm coming up in searches where people are less likely to click on me or convert. (searching for a competitor, or a service without intending to find us).

But is Google just going to dislike a campaign without broad match, even if it doesn't really make sense to do broad match? I feel pretty strongly that broad match isn't the answer here, but Google Ad Reps will not let it go. I'm okay with being wrong if it means a better campaign.

I'm not an expert at all.

For a service business, wouldn't you want to run localized keywords instead? I.e. roofing [location], roofers [location], roofers near me. If customers were already searching for you by name, you should come up as #1 in the search results, local services, and Maps if you have a physical location. Do you organically have a lot of volume for branded searches already?

As for the competitor keywords, I've read that they can work for local service businesses. Someone sees a sign that reads "John's Roofing", searches for it, and Wayne Roofing comes up at the top as an ad. A roofer is a roofer, right?

Also, the adword reps are just sales reps.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU - Sold Out

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom