mikepcservice

Reaction score
Hey guys, since my bud the onsite heating technician does not wish to have his house address displayed in the GMB and since as far as I am being told google will not rank him in the 3 pack, does it make any sense to focus on local citations backlinking on a monthly basis please?

Mollie

Reaction score
Hey guys, since my bud the onsite heating technician does not wish to have his house address displayed in the GMB and since as far as I am being told google will not rank him in the 3 pack, does it make any sense to focus on local citations backlinking on a monthly basis please?
Hey Mike, I have not heard that Google does not rank due to no address being displayed. It may just be a competitive market where your friend is located. I have seen SAB's rank in Map Pack. (See attached screenshot. The third business listed is an ac contractor that does not list his address.) I absolutely think that listing him on relevant local citations would be a good idea. Good luck!

screenshot.png

mikepcservice

Reaction score
Hmnn I was told on this forum in one of my threads that google will not rank my bud's site if his "full" address is not displayed. What he has done is opted to put only the street number, city, state and zip code but not his house number so maybe that might be the issue?

This is what I am seeing on google when I search it:

Google requires that you enter a valid mailing address for your business. You canconceal this address from searchers, however, and you can use a different criterion — "service areas" — to define your location on Google Maps.

So maybe he should do that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
@mikepcservice As @Mollie illustrated with a screenshot, SABs can rank. Obviously, you can't get a pin on the map because a pin represents a specific location, but you can rank an SAB.

There are also a handful of citation sites that let you create a listing without a street address. @Phil Rozek wrote a post listing several. (The post was also updated with a link to a more recent list by Whitespark.)

mikepcservice

Reaction score
You've hit the nail on the head. I just got off the phone with the bud asking him to clarify. What he told me was he doesn't;t want when anyone googles his phone number that they will see his address, that is the main issue.

I just googled his phone number and I am seeing his full address being displayed on Chamber of commerce and some other local citations in the SERP's so it seems only some local citations are showing his full address.

Wirenut

Reaction score
My electrical contracting business has always ranked in the 3 (and 7 back then) pack and I never showed an address because I always specified that my business goes out to customer's houses and does not accept people at the business address.

FWIW, with all the other citations I have my address listed and it has never been an issue in any way. I am not sure why contractors and other SAB worry about this.

mikepcservice

Reaction score
Because some people will show up at the address unannounced without checking with you first, that has happened to other onsite service providers before.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Travis Van Slooten When Does It Make Sense To Pay for Premium Placement on Directory Sites? Local Search 14
abbiebeltran GMB Verification Postcard Update - What Does 2021 Postcard Look Like? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Niki Business category does not support more hours Help & Support for Google Local 2
rayrober GMB Messaging does not turn on Help & Support for Google Local 2
nathangdavidson Does anyone know if there's a GMB Category for vaccination centre? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
Greg Bernhardt User asked a question... Q&A area does not exist in brand panel Google My Business & Google Maps 1
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
NexstarNickR Does PPC Perform worse if there are no trackable goals? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Rich Owings Does "near me" optimization bring more organic or GMB clicks? Organic SEO 4
eshad Account suspended, duplicate created. Suspended listing shows. Verified listing does not Google Duplicates & Merges 3
M Where does this type of SPAM come from? Spam on Google 7
P Does suspended listing affect account quality? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
I How does URL Shortening sites like Umuly work? Websites, Software, and Security 0
Steve Wiideman Does anyone have a Google My Business claiming best practice guide? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Google: Moz Spam Score, Domain Authority Does Not Impact Google Rankings Organic SEO 1
Eoghan_MFeed Does anybody have any idea how many users Apple Maps actually has? Local Search 0
N Creating new location groups, does it affect other owners/managers' views? Multi-Location Issues 2
Danish Blackmail Review (Asking money to remove it) | Google support does not wish to take it down Local Reviews 2
TimH FB app iphone does not show recommendations Local Reviews 0
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
Y One of my rivals bought 5 stars 100 spam reviews in 2 weeks Google does not care Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Tony Wang Google now does food ordering Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M GMB Virtual Care Link - Does the URL have to be on the website? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter Does John Mueller have a side gig? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
K Map Pin Does Not Show When Business Owner Googles Their Address Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Zhanna Does Local SEO for small hotels return the investments? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
erickseo Does having a tracking phone number as primary instead of our regular phone number hurt ranking? Local Search 13
TammyT Does city in business name increase local pack visibility Local Search 7
FriarTuck00 How Long Does It Take to Get Duplicates Removed? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
kathleen.rhodes Google's My Business Provider - how does a Chamber of Commerce sign up Help & Support for Google Local 6
djbaxter Google reminder: Structured Data Does Not Impact Ranking Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Mythbusting: Linking out to authority (or other) sites does not help rankings Organic SEO 15
F Does punycode help ranking? Ranking Puzzles 1
kathleen.rhodes Does anyone have experience with eClincher for posting to GMB (and social sites)? Local SEO Tools & Software 1
Amy Toman In Request A Quote dropdown, where does G source the fields? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B Does verifying my GMB prevent users from changing location details so often? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Vincent Tobiaz Same person 2 profiles same review - flagging does nothing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M How Does Google Calculate Call Only Ad Charges? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
F How Does a Business Deal with Fake Reviews? Recycle Bin 0
A What does a red update mean? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Travis Van Slooten Where Does MapQuest Get Its Data? Local Search 9
Marissa Does GMB Secondary Phone Number Show Up Anywhere? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
ashley.smith Does Google My Business prioritize reviews from Local Guides over other users? Local Reviews 7
MannyL GMB page website does not display services Help & Support for Google Local 4
M Does this video have any facts to it? Local Search 5
LocalSEODat How Does a Business Deal with Fake Reviews? Local Reviews 32