djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
FTC Rules that Selling Followers and Likes is Illegal, Along with Posting Fake Reviews
by Andrew Hutchinson, SocialMediaToday.com
October 23, 2019

The FTC has fined Florida businessman German Calas, Jr. $2.5 million over the sale of "fake indicators of social media influence”, while it's also issued a warning to Sunday Riley, whom the FTC says had written fake reviews of her company's products on Sephora’s website, and had also ordered her employees to do the same.

Both cases could have significant implications for the broader digital marketplace. In the first, Calas, who had been in charge of a company called Devumi, has been handed a significant fine in what could prove to be a benchmark case for online fake sellers. Devumi was the subject of a major New York Times investigation last year, which found that the company had been selling likes and followers to a range of celebrities and online influencers in order to inflate their perceived presence.

In the second case, popular skincare brand Sunday Riley agreed to a settlement with the FTC over allegations that the company had faked reviews on Sephora’s website in order to boost its sales.

Read more...

Reaction score
I know of a family business that purchased a certain number of follower on a platform. Do you know if those will disappear or a fine will be involved?

keyserholiday

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
The FTC is cracking down on fake reviews as the public pressure is mounting. I expect a lot more of these types of stories from the FTC in the future. Dm me the business in question and I’ll take a look at them for you.

keyserholiday

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I suspect you might be right in that assertion.

keyserholiday

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Time will tell. I have a feeling that we will start to see a change in how Google Facebook and others address fake reviews and or listings.

Wirenut

Reaction score
I just hope they don't do whatever Yelp does.

I was just looking at a competitor's Yelp listing, he has 5 5star reviews showing, and 17 5 star reviews hidden. All of those hidden reviews are from people local to his area with many friends and other reviews.

Myself, I only have 5 reviews hidden, but they are by well established people. I have 13 reviews showing and many of those people only registered to leave me the review years ago. It makes no sense.

Google seems to be much better.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet Missing Google Reviews - FTC Complaints and Several New Updates Local Reviews 12
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
S Google just changed their rules for GMB posts: If you are a chain, you can now mass post to all your GMB locations using a GMB post scheduling tool Google My Business & Google Maps 6
A Storage Units - Are They REALLY Against The Rules? Local Search 3
vivekrpatel Is This Violation of Google Ratings Rule? Local Reviews 1
Y My rivals violate all Google guideline rules but Google doesn't do anything.. Local Search 3
JoyHawkins Welcome Message and Forum Rules LSF News and Announcements 0
Garrett Sussman The Rules of Sharing Reviews in the Legal Industry Local Reviews 2
H Still Grappling with the BIG change in 301 redirect rules. . . Local Search 9
Margaret Ornsby Yelp court ruling: it's not extortion, just hard bargaining ?!? Marketing 3
HurricaneK8 Court Rules Tycoon can sue Google over autocomplete results! Organic SEO 1
Linda Buquet Unwritten Rule - Be Sure To Set Hours Right in Google My Business Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 13
Dustybones WHITE BOARD FRIDAY: Sometimes you need to break the rules in SEO Local Search 0
E Yahoo Local Changes Rules for Removing Businesses Local Search 4
Linda Buquet How the Google Local Algo Really Works - What Rules the Ranking Order Google My Business & Google Maps 29
B On 7 pack but breaking all rules? Ranking Puzzles 1
B On 7 pack but breaking all rules? Ranking Puzzles 1
Phil Rozek Take the Google+Local Rules Quiz - Guest Post by Colan Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Rules for the Local SEO Tools Forum Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Linda Buquet Welcome & General Forum Rules Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Linda Buquet Rules for the Help & Support Forum - Please Read Before Posting Help & Support for Google Local 0
Linda Buquet Welcome Message + Please Read the Rules Before Posting Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Welcome Message + Please Read the Rules Before Posting Help & Support for Google Local 0
Linda Buquet Welcome Message + Please Read the Rules Before Posting Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Linda Buquet Welcome Message + Please Read the Rules Before Posting Google My Business & Google Maps 0
coachmarino Company trying to sell client back their own GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
P How to Estimate the Cost of GMB listing when selling/buying a business Local Search 5
Scott ClientClicks These guys are selling GMB reviews Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Avast antivirus caught spying on user data - and selling it Websites, Software, and Security 1
Yan Gilbert Free Webinar: How to Sell and Deliver Reputation Management to Clients Events 0
Creativedge Selling business with practitioner listing Help & Support for Google Local 7
C How to Sell Local SEO? Consultant's Corner 12
R Free Webinar: How Agencies Should Package and Sell Review Management Services Events 0
Garrett Sussman Is it Easier to Sell Review Management Online or IRL?? Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman Your Review Management Pitch Deck: Stats, Themes, and Selling Points Local Reviews 5
Garrett Sussman How To Sell Online Review Management To Enterprises and Franchises Local Reviews 3
Garrett Sussman Selling Review Management: How To Get Your Agency’s Foot In The Door Local Reviews 9
M bitcoin buy sell Recycle Bin 0
M bitcoin sell Recycle Bin 0
G Does your company sell blogging/content marketing services? Consultant's Corner 0
Linda Buquet Is selling Local SEO Getting Harder or are SEOs just not Good at it? Consultant's Corner 4
Garrett Sussman Hug Your (Online Review) Haters: Tips From Jay Baer's Best Selling Book Local Reviews 4
Linda Buquet Local Search Webinar for Consultants: Selling to SMBs in 2015 from Street Fight Consultant's Corner 0
A Re: Amazon Services Introducing Selling Services on Amazon Recycle Bin 1
O Amazon Services Introducing Selling Services on Amazon Local SEO Tools & Software 1
Linda Buquet How To Sell Your Local Search Services Like A Rockstar Consultant's Corner 4
Linda Buquet Google Recounts GMB Mistakes and 5 Lessons Google Learned About Selling to SMBs Consultant's Corner 1
Linda Buquet Google To Train 20,000 3rd Party Reps To Sell Local Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Reputation App - Easily Sell To Your Clients/Offer As Part Of Your Services Recycle Bin 0