More threads by Bishop

Bishop

Reaction score
I have a relatively new local business.

When searching google using Keyword + Location I see my site on the 2nd page. But if I just use only the keyword my site is nowhere to be found.

Need advice so my site shows up when just using the keyword.
What are your thoughts?

I think that's a different algo and it's one I've never made time to figure out.

It's important because I believe a large majority of consumers search for KW only with no city. I've just never made time to tackle it.

Thanks for the reply Linda, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Can you give an example (or the specific) keyword you're referring to? If the keyword doesn't have local intent, you have zero chance of ranking unless you have a lot of time and money to rank for it.

If it does have local intent...say something like "plumbers" then it's the normal stuff you need to focus on when it comes to organic SEO - high quality content, well optimized site, awesome off-page SEO, reviews, shares, likes, etc. etc.

Travis

I tend to have the opposite results on several occasions.

If I search for "keyword" I rank very well, when I search "city keyword" or "keyword city" the rankings are worse.

Local SEO is not just Generic SEO with Location added in anchortext

You are ranking for Keyword+location because most probably you have implemented a Generic SEO approach by targeting you content using backlinks + anchortext ( Keyword + Location )

My suggestion for you is to optimize all your content for keyword only and to send the Location signals to Google by having a Local SEO approach.

This will help you to target local audiences searching for keyword only.

You shall check the next thread where I have posted a screenshot from Google trends on this

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...word-vs-searching-keyword-city.html#post19747

Local SEO is not just Generic SEO with Location added in anchortext

My suggestion for you is to optimize all your content for keyword only and to send the Location signals to Google by having a Local SEO approach.

sergiuliano-

Thanks for your reply. I don't understand the above statement. How do I "...send the Location signals to Google by having a Local SEO approach"?

This may be too obvious but are you searching from the same location the listing is optimized for?

What query are you using? Is it plural or singular? Like said above, Google tries to cypher your search intent and they may use very subtle cues from the searcher to do this.

This may be too obvious but are you searching from the same location the listing is optimized for?

What query are you using? Is it plural or singular? Like said above, Google tries to cypher your search intent and they may use very subtle cues from the searcher to do this.

Thanks for your reply painperdu. Yes, I am searching the same location I am optimizing for. Searching "plumber".

hi

this is something i have been wondering. if i just search for "garden services" it comes higher then if i have a location added to it. i guess that is because i have done more seo just for the keyword without a location. should location be switched off when testing where you are in the listings.

Yes that makes sense linda. Is it best to just try and rank for the keyword then. I found trying to rank for kw+location was hard for me because my business services quite a few different towns and villages in my area so there is a lot of variations in kw+location. If it is just one city it eould not be so hard

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom