KevinWag

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for all the amazing information and experience shared in here.

I have a client that has a couple old citations (Yelp, YP) that he put in a fake address in for a nearby city. The problem is that his site is ranking (and the Yelp directory page, which he is at the top of) well for that city, with no other seemingly correlated factors. His GMB and other citations have his address where it should be, his home/business address.

So I'm left in a little of a bind here. Do I leave the incorrect citations as is? Or correct them and possibly lose the organic rankings in his other target city?

Thanks in advance for taking time to reply!

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for all the amazing information and experience shared in here.

I have a client that has a couple old citations (Yelp, YP) that he put in a fake address in for a nearby city. The problem is that his site is ranking (and the Yelp directory page, which he is at the top of) well for that city, with no other seemingly correlated factors. His GMB and other citations have his address where it should be, his home/business address.

So I'm left in a little of a bind here. Do I leave the incorrect citations as is? Or correct them and possibly lose the organic rankings in his other target city?

Thanks in advance for taking time to reply!

Just to make sure I understand, he has 1 GMB page located at an address that he doesn't own?

Also, all of his citations point to his correct address except Yelp and YP which point to this incorrect address?

And there is only 1 GMB page at the incorrect address. Not 2 GMB pages, one at the incorrect address and one at the correct address?

Finally, there aren't 2 Yelp or YP citations either? Just 1 per, correct? IE there is only 1 citation for Yelp and YP and they both point to the incorrect address?

KevinWag

Reaction score
He has 1 GMB page with his correct address.

Correct, just the Yelp and YP that have another address in another city.

Correct on the last 2 points.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
If I understand the situation correctly, I would just create separate citations for the other location and separate citations for his current, correct location.

You can do well in 2 markets.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
LauraUK SAB's - can a client without a Gmail leave a SAB a review. Service Area Businesses 3
abbiebeltran Disgruntled former employee leaves 9 1-star reviews and counting on GMB listing Local Reviews 5
N My Business in Multiple Locations leaving me with 3 unanswered questions Multi-Location Issues 2
MKubot Unclaimed Listing Won't Leave Spam on Google 3
Scott Rawlins No Ability to Leave a Review from the KP, Only Maps Local Reviews 2
F HELP Competitor leaves FIFTEEN 1-star reviews in a matter of days Google My Business & Google Maps 17
Ben Walsh Is leaving a review on a GMB listing back? and if so is it fully functional? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 9
D Do you need a Google account to leave a review? Local Reviews 8
JohnS Disgruntled x-employee leaving fake Facebook reviews Local Reviews 4
Travis Van Slooten Client's 3+ Year GMB Listing Uses UPS Address (Leave As-Is or Change)? Moving or Name Changes 6
Rich Owings New layout when leaving Google review? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter How to find a direct link to leave a Google Review for your business Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Oliver Keates Should I be encouraging customers to leave a review on GMB Local Search 10
Conor Treacy LLC in name, or leave it off? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
B Leaving Yelp reviews on mobile without downloading app Local Reviews 4
kbone Asking Clients to Leave Reviews at Business Local Reviews 3
Linda Buquet Important Local Mobile Stats: What users Want, Why they Leave & Where they Go Mobile & Social 2
Dustybones Google Now Allows You To Leave Reviews on Mobile Local Reviews 10
Priya Chandra Snacking on Google's local snack pack leaves one feeling a bit hungry Local Search 1
R Wrong type of local page?? Can't leave reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Matt Cutts Taking Leave of Absence from Google Organic SEO 1
Linda Buquet Google+ Is Walking Dead Cuz Vic Gundotra is Leaving Google? Bunk! Google My Business & Google Maps 5
S Dentist Leaving Practice Moving or Name Changes 1
Scott Rawlins Dentist Leaving Practice Moving or Name Changes 1
shondarogers Should I Edit Listing Description, categories etc or Leave if It Is Ranking Well? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Chris Ratchford Review Strategy/Questionnaire... discover your customers who leave reviews Local Search 2
Travis Van Slooten Contractor Sues Customer for $750,000 for Leaving a Negative Review on Yelp! Local Search 5
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
W Incorrect Phone Number NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
NickB-Tampa Listing with no ratings and incorrect address outranking listings for same business with good ratings and proper addresses Google My Business & Google Maps 5
CoRichardson Incorrect "Located in" Description in Client's Knowledge Panel Help & Support for Google Local 13
W *URGENT* Business incorrectly labeled as "duplicate listing." MY BUSINESS WILL CLOSE IF UNRESOLVED!! Contact Us Messages 1
virens Reporting SABs incorrectly set up with fixed addresses Spam on Google 12
ianscott Incorrect Business Names/Duplicate Listings - When To Escalate To Spam Report? Spam on Google 1
L Incorrect Directions Issue Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S Incorrect duplicate notification - views on best way to proceed? Google Duplicates & Merges 10
AMF Incorrect Data Being Reported by D&B and YEXT. Citations 7
B Incorrect Brand Knowledge Panel appearing for branded queries Help & Support for Google Local 0
L Updated google street view image for listing which is incorrect Local Search 8
Tim Colling Client's former web dev agency portfolio contains incorrect citation data Local Search 2
J Incorrect Google Summary on Business Page - no resolution Google My Business & Google Maps 4
J Incorrect City for Google Points of Interest Carousel Google My Business & Google Maps 3
D Questions about use of incorrect (but actually correct) postcode NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
davidcharles Questions about use of incorrect (but actually correct) postcode NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
A Knowledge Graph - Incorrect NAP Reviews Local Search 1
jvaquino Incorrect Pin Marker on Map at Google MyBusiness Page Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Nick Rink Maps / G+ search goes to incorrect business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
A Hours display incorrect on mobile phone? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
Andrew Polanski Hours display incorrect on mobile phone? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
Linda Buquet Major Problems with Incorrect NAP Data for Local Businesses Local Search 3