Reaction score
I have a client that has a super long business name - 55 characters. There are some citations that only allow 40 characters in a business name. On the one's that allow longer, I'm including the full business name. On the others, what is recommended?

I was planning on stopping at the end of the last full word allowed for the space provided but wanted to know if there are any other recommendations on how to approach it.

PKLilikoi

Solutions
Reaction score
@Phil Rozek touched on this quite a bit ago. You can read his article here .

Here is a quick answer from that article.
The answer: if your official business name is more than 40 characters long, you should abbreviate it to 40 characters or less before you use it as the “business name” of your Google Places page.

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Before I was involved, it was already listed fully on GMB (55 characters). I'm a little conflicted about how to proceed with other citations because when I asked the business owner to confirm it was correct (they have a dba) they said there were specific reasons they did it that way and want to keep it the correct way on GMB (55 characters).

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@TriciaClements, whether and where to chop is a case-by-case question, because it's a question of where the (relative) fluff is. The very end of the name may be important, and may not be a good idea to cut. If you're a realtor or a therapist or a financial advisor, for example, you're required to include certain elements in your name. Other parts of your name may be critical for branding, such that if you remove them and search for the abbreviated name, Google may pull up the wrong business (or several businesses, including your competitors).

Anything like "Corporation" or "Company" "Licensed" or "Agency" is a good possible way to abbreviate.

What is the name of your client's business (or a generic version of it)?

Reaction score
@Phil Rozek It's a private school and child care. None of the extra words are Company, Corp, etc. The last word in the name is school. Does this mean that it would be OK to shorten it by removing words in the middle of the business name for those citations that only allow 40 characters?

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@TriciaClements, those were just examples. Again, if I don't know what the name is, so I can't say what is the least-bad thing to cut.

The word "school" may help you rank currently or in the future, so that's probably not one to trim out.

You'll want to scour the "Performance" -> "Queries" area in Search Console to see exactly which phrases (including variations of your name) you get impressions and clicks for. You'll also get a sense of how searchers already abbreviate your name - what part they think is extraneous.

fpaschoal

Reaction score
Hello ! I just saw this a article, it is from 2011. Last update 2014, do you think it still valid, 40 characters as best practice ?
Thank you,
Fabricio

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@fpaschoal, I wish I knew :) Can't say I've looked into it recently.

But one thing I'd say has changed is that Google seems much better at recognizing the names of entities / businesses, so I'm not as concerned about discrepancies in the name.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@fpaschoal, thanks. I saw that one a few years ago. Mike's post is crunchier, and I like it better than mine, but they're on slightly different topics. His is about how long of a name GMB will accept, whereas mine is more about how long of a GMB name will other sites accept before they start messing with the formatting of your name.

Unlike when I wrote that post 9+ years ago, these days my approach is more like: make sure your name doesn't create problems in GMB, and don't worry too much about the formatting on other sites. (For what that's worth.)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
Linda Buquet New from Google: How Long Have you Been in Business? New in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 3
C Google My Business Bulk Account - how long to verify? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jens How long until improvements are visible Local Search 4
WAHamilton How long is it taking you to get a response from Google Support? Help & Support for Google Local 16
Rich Owings Moving SAB long distance Moving or Name Changes 9
R How long would the logo review process be for several hundred listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
SpectateSwamp Using long fancy filenames to curate Videos Mobile & Social 3
FriarTuck00 How Long Does It Take to Get Duplicates Removed? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter The search could not be completed because the keywords were too short, too long, or too common. How To Guides 3
djbaxter Accidental Site De-Index from Google and Long Road to Recovery: Moz Case Study Organic SEO 0
pauieee DUP: Suspension - First one in a long time Recycle Bin 0
Tim Colling Suspension - First one in a long time Google My Business & Google Maps 108
MarianoF A brand name too long for a Title Tag. Should I include it there anyway? Local Search 11
Oliver Keates Long Term Local Link Building Local Search 5
Tim Colling Is Google Playing the Long Game with SMB Websites? Local Search 4
djbaxter Another long weekend in Canada Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
John Ennis Long-term Consulting Opportunity in DC - Local Search Lead Local SEO Job Board 0
D How long to rank in GMB section? Local Search 3
B Hacked website for a long time . Difficult Case Local Search 9
Scott ClientClicks MozLocal - How long for Acxiom and Localeze? Local Search 1
djbaxter Forget long-tail keywords. Focus on searcher intent. Organic SEO 1
Travis Van Slooten How Long Does It Take for New Google+ Pages to Go Live These Days? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
jessewheel Re: Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take? Recycle Bin 0
JoyHawkins How Long Does it Take to Rank Locally? Local Search 12
MichaelW How long does it usually take for a listing to be reviewed? Help & Support for Google Local 8
Dustybones How long will the Google Maps loopholes continue? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Local SEO Will Help You Live Long and Prosper - Greg Gifford #BrightonSEO Local Search 4
Dustybones 2014 Local SEO Expert Survey: How long to Rank Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Manual Google Penalties - How Long Do they Last? Expiration Times? Organic SEO 2
G Google+ Local Penalization: How long to recover? Help & Support for Google Local 8
M How long does it take for reviews to improve rankings? Local Reviews 6
Linda Buquet Hummingbird and the Local Long Tail - Semantic Search Illustrated Local Search 1
grasshoppersean UK Verification - How Long Should I Wait for PIN? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Targeting The Long Tail In Google Local Search w/ Keyword Research Local Search 2
D Re: Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take? Recycle Bin 0
M How long does 'pending' take? Help & Support for Google Local 9
N How long until a listing appears in search results and when will images show? Help & Support for Google Local 16
D Hyper local media goes viral and may turn a disaster into a big long term positive Mobile & Social 1
S How long does the listing take to go live? Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet How Long to get Local SEO Ranking Results? Answers Inside Local Search 17
shondarogers How Long Should I wait after submitting to Directories before claiming Google Places Local Search 3
Jim Froling Long Time Listings Now "Under Review" Help & Support for Google Local 13
S When updating or claiming a listing, how long is it 'offline'? Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take? Local Search 13
Linda Buquet Infographic - How Long before Citations Hit Google? Local Search 4
Marie Haynes How long did it take for your listing to be active after entering PIN? Local Search 6
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4