pilatesqueen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for help with one of my client projects. It a boutique fitness studio and they picked a very long business and domain name that has article "a" in it.
Without disclosing my client, the domain name is something similar to "mindbodymovementayogastudio.com" and the business name is Mind Body Movement - a Yoga Studio. My client is in a very competitive location.

To top it off, there are other studios with similar names (but without "a" in the title) that rank better on Google if you type in the business name. Those studios are in different states thankfully.

Here is question: In all of her NAP mentions should we keep the full business name with "a" in it? Or should we skip it and just use it in the domain itself?

OR is it better to move the website to a new shorter domain? We won't be able to change the name of the studio.

I would appreciate any help/advice that you can offer.
Thanks

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do?

I’m not sure how long they have had a website but I would get a better, shorter domain and redirect the old domain to the new one.

See if you can get MindBodyYoga.com or MBYoga.com or something along those lines -something short that connects to the business name.

None of their customers are ever going to remember a long domain name like that, even leaving aside the high probability of typos.

pilatesqueen

Reaction score
The website is several years long that's why I am hesitant about switching to a new domain.
I am thinking about recommending that they use a shorter domain for their business cards etc so that clients can actually remember it. Misspelling is a big issue there. When I first started working with them I misspelled the domain wrong several times and landed on a wrong webpage LOL

pilatesqueen

Reaction score
Re: Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do?

Thanks, that's what we've been doing. Now Google ranks them high for "a yoga studio" + location but not for "yoga studio". And how many people type in "a" when searching for a local business?

It's been a confusing case for me, for sure.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter How The Web is Really Built Websites, Software, and Security 0
Marty Twelves Local links: are they really that much better? Local Search 1
S Really bad GMB reviews, options? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Colan Nielsen Google Really Pushing Competitor Listings on Knowledge Panels and Branded Searches Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
rhealyn Is it really about relevance? Local listing update. Local Search 3
A Storage Units - Are They REALLY Against The Rules? Local Search 3
Rich Owings Are unrelated categories really the kiss of death? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
H Google My Business Bulk - Really backed up???? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
C Who REALLY Knows How Much "Optimization" Is Just Wheel Spinning Google My Business & Google Maps 10
J Does adding an SSL really boost ranking ? Local Search 17
stryker Google picked up a really weird title from my new website. Local Search 3
S Will the SSL Deadline by Google in October Really Be A Factor in Rankings? Local Search 18
JoshuaMackens Ranking for a City When You're in the City But Not Really Local Search 11
Gsmithmike Different websites under one IP is it really a bad practice? Local Search 2
DGDMarketing Really Need The Experts On This One :( Help & Support for Google Local 2
Gsmithmike How to really remove these Spammy local pages Local Search 3
360 Spin Scaling Geo-Targeted Local Landing Pages That Really Rank and Convert Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Can we Really Ditch Ranking Reports due to Pigeon? Local Search 13
Linda Buquet Did the CEO of Yodle Really Just Say That? Re: Local Reviews Advice? Local Reviews 3
M I Really Want the New Places Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet If Google Was a Guy - Funny Video - But Google Local is Really a SHE Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 6
djbaxter What Google does with duplicate content: Nothing really Organic SEO 5
Chris_Gregory How much does cheap SEO really cost? Consultant's Corner 0
G How Many F Bombs Can you Drop on Google When you are Really Really Mad? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Linda Buquet How the Google Local Algo Really Works - What Rules the Ranking Order Google My Business & Google Maps 29
MiriamEllis How Much Does Sheer Review Count Really Matter? Local Reviews 6
L Can I really do anything about local search cheaters? Spam on Google 5
Colan Nielsen This Guy Really Annoys Me Mod Squad 1
Optimize Prime A REALLY cool way to get your Google+ page to stand out! Google My Business & Google Maps 8
G Top Listing For These Sites? Really? How? Ranking Puzzles 9
G Top Listing For These Sites? Really? How? Ranking Puzzles 9
Linda Buquet Is Google Local Really this Broken? Who's in Charge? What's the Solution? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
MiriamEllis Is G+ Local Sentiment Analysis Worth A Hang? Really? Local Search 4
Jo Shaer Not really Places related but hope someone can help Local Search 1
Colan Nielsen Really Surprised by a Google Employee Response Local Search 5
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
Jens How long until improvements are visible Local Search 4
WAHamilton How long is it taking you to get a response from Google Support? Help & Support for Google Local 16
Rich Owings Moving SAB long distance Moving or Name Changes 9
R How long would the logo review process be for several hundred listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
SpectateSwamp Using long fancy filenames to curate Videos Mobile & Social 3
FriarTuck00 How Long Does It Take to Get Duplicates Removed? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter The search could not be completed because the keywords were too short, too long, or too common. How To Guides 3
djbaxter Accidental Site De-Index from Google and Long Road to Recovery: Moz Case Study Organic SEO 0
pauieee DUP: Suspension - First one in a long time Recycle Bin 0
Tim Colling Suspension - First one in a long time Google My Business & Google Maps 108
MarianoF A brand name too long for a Title Tag. Should I include it there anyway? Local Search 11
Oliver Keates Long Term Local Link Building Local Search 5
Tim Colling Is Google Playing the Long Game with SMB Websites? Local Search 4