More threads by brownaddesign

Reaction score
I'm working with a new client who is a telecommunications contractor who services NC, SC, and VA. His current GMB lists his address, which is a home address, and this address also appears across his citations (~50 or so).

I'm looking for some general direction on:
  • If I remove/clear his address in GMB, what would you do across his other citations? And will we run into NAP issues if his address is listed on some but not others?
  • If he insists on leaving his address listed, will that hinder his chances of getting found for searches outside his local area (since he services multiple states)
I'm just going back and forth on this a bit, so I would appreciate how you'd approach it.

Thanks!

If you were to hide the address on GMB, I would do the same on other citations for consistency. Especially since it is a residential address where customers cannot visit. However, you can't do that for every citation to the directory site, some require an address. Here is a good resource from Whitespark on how to build citation listings for service area businesses that might be helpful for you in this endeavor.

When deciding on if you should keep the address visible on GMB or not, I recommend reading this article from Sterling Sky on the pros and cons. Regardless of if you hide the address or not, the listing is unlikely to rank in a state outside of where the address is. I would recommend setting up other office locations in the states he also services in order to rank in those areas.

If you were to hide the address on GMB, I would do the same on other citations for consistency. Especially since it is a residential address where customers cannot visit. However, you can't do that for every citation to the directory site, some require an address. Here is a good resource from Whitespark on how to build citation listings for service area businesses that might be helpful for you in this endeavor.

When deciding on if you should keep the address visible on GMB or not, I recommend reading this article from Sterling Sky on the pros and cons. Regardless of if you hide the address or not, the listing is unlikely to rank in a state outside of where the address is. I would recommend setting up other office locations in the states he also services in order to rank in those areas.

Great, thanks so much for the reply and those articles were very helpful

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom