More threads by nicoco

nicoco

Reaction score
A pest control business located in London reached out to me for some help to improve the visibility of their business locally. The owner has 3 listings, all located in London and he is planning on creating another 2.
Unless I am mistaken, and according to Google's guidelines, service area businesses can only create one profile for the metropolitan area that they serve and if they have multiple listings, the address on the listings should be farther than 2 hours driving distance from each other.

Based on these guidelines, I should tell my prospective client not to open two more listings and also to close two of his existing ones. Not sure he will be happy with that as he will miss out on tons of leads.

If my assumption is correct, why can I see so many SABs with multiple listings in the same city (in this case London) within less than 2 hours' driving distance from each other? are they just simply spamming Google maps?

Any help will be very welcome

A pest control business located in London reached out to me for some help to improve the visibility of their business locally. The owner has 3 listings, all located in London and he is planning on creating another 2.
Unless I am mistaken, and according to Google's guidelines, service area businesses can only create one profile for the metropolitan area that they serve and if they have multiple listings, the address on the listings should be farther than 2 hours driving distance from each other.

Based on these guidelines, I should tell my prospective client not to open two more listings and also to close two of his existing ones. Not sure he will be happy with that as he will miss out on tons of leads.

If my assumption is correct, why can I see so many SABs with multiple listings in the same city (in this case London) within less than 2 hours' driving distance from each other? are they just simply spamming Google maps?

My sense is that your reading of the GBP guidelines is right, and that your client should focus on one listing only.

I'm sure what you're seeing with other SAB's having multiple listings, is that they're trying to manipulate the system to improve their rankings in more locations. And any duplicate profiles should be redressed.

You can't have overlapping services areas. In order to qualify, each SAB has to be a registered business or have some form of official documentation. Each location must be staffed by an employee. You cant use employees' homes if they are the owner of the business. Breaking these rules can and does lead to an account-level suspension.

You can't have overlapping services areas. In order to qualify, each SAB has to be a registered business or have some form of official documentation. Each location must be staffed by an employee. You cant use employees' homes if they are the owner of the business. Breaking these rules can and does lead to an account-level suspension.

Thanks Jason. What about the 2-hour driving distance rule? I see so many businesses, (including well-known brands) who do not respect it and yet seem to be able to run multiple SAB listings in the same city in total impunity. They don't fall into the franchise category

Thanks Jason. What about the 2-hour driving distance rule? I see so many businesses, (including well-known brands) who do not respect it and yet seem to be able to run multiple SAB listings in the same city in total impunity. They don't fall into the franchise category

For starters, it's not a rule and it's guidance. There are several expectations to the rule. If you find a company that you feel is violating Google's TOS, you should report them via the redressal form.

For starters, it's not a rule and it's guidance. There are several expectations to the rule. If you find a company that you feel is violating Google's TOS, you should report them via the redressal form.

Thanks Jason. Any chance you can provide more details around the exceptions? I couldn't find any information anywhere.

As I stated, it's guidance and not a rule, and Google is not going to spell it out in full detail. Google intentionally leaves the TOS vague to prevent abuse. As I said, as long as you don't have overlapping service areas, you can have a business profile.

As I stated, it's guidance and not a rule, and Google is not going to spell it out in full detail. Google intentionally leaves the TOS vague to prevent abuse. As I said, as long as you don't have overlapping service areas, you can have a business profile.

Got it. Thanks Jason

Hi Jason!
I reported a business so many times via the redressal form. I added pics and video from the location to show them there is nothing there and still google never removed the business. Is there something i can do about it?

Not sure he will be happy with that as he will miss out on tons of leads.

any way he can "legitimatize" the existing listings rather than closing them? Will seem like backwards thinking to a business owner. On the one hand, tons of leads, on the other hand, rules from google. For a business owner, the winner is obvious.

Also, google doesn't even guarantee if you follow the rules that you won't be suspended, as a quick search for the word "suspended" in this forum will reveal.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom