More threads by JeffClevelandTN

Solutions
Reaction score
We have a new client with a single location that has been in business for 40+ years that has been using an 800 phone number. They are in the travel/tourism industry and have customers that are local, regional, and national. Therefore, in the past it was very important for them to provide a toll-free number. The 800# is being used on their GMB Page and found on the great majority of existing citation listings. I vaguely recalled for NAP reasons that using a local number is preferable over an 800 number, so I researched trying to find some type of case study or any type of authoritative article showing the benefits of a local phone number versus a toll-free number, or conversely the drawbacks of a toll-free number.

After spending about an hour searching and reading, I couldn't find anything really compelling or substantiated by facts. Pretty much everything out there says a local number is preferable over a toll-free or call center number, but with no real explanation as to why. It wanted to make sure I wasn't repeating the "Grandma's ham story".

If there is a benefit to using a local number, now would be the most ideal time for us to implement the change as we are preparing to perform a lot of NAP cleanup. However, I need to justify our plans to the owners (and ourselves) that there is a benefit. Google has this to say: Guidelines for representing your business on Google - Google My Business Help
  • Use a local phone number instead of a central call center helpline number whenever possible.
Not super helpful as the 800 number isn't really a call center number but it isn't a local number either. Also, the cost savings of eliminating the 800 # is not really a motivating factor as it is bundled with their current phone plan.

I would very much appreciate the community's feedback, wisdom, and possible links to any real-world studies.

Thanks!

Just based off of logic - when someone presses that call button on mobile, and an 800 number appears on their keypad ... it seems kindof off. Subconsciously yes, consciously - not sure maybe it seems suspicious and they do not call.

Having a local number is obvious that you are a trusted local business.

Dont know of any case studies on this, but I would imagine it decreases leads conversions to have an 800 number on GMB.

Hey Jeff,

I don't believe that a local number vs 800 number has any SEO impact. The only reason you might prefer a local number would be for potential conversion considerations, as @cfazio mentioned. I doubt it would be worth it to get a local number and update all your existing business listings. If it was my call, I'd keep the 800 number and focus my SEO work on things that have a bigger impact.

Hope this helps.

@cfazio and @whitespark
Thanks for your feedback!

We likewise were thinking the same thing, it potentially might be a conversion factor. However, that may be for a shrinking audience as I think Gen Z and possibly some Millennials may not even know the purpose of a toll-free number :). Personally I'd like to see a local number, but as you mentioned Darren, is it really worth the ROI. We are still debating this and the feedback helps in the decision process.

BTW, you did a great job hosting the last LocalU webinar Darren! Very much looking forward to WhiteSpark's Local Search Summit at the end of September.

@cfazio and @whitespark
Thanks for your feedback!

We likewise were thinking the same thing, it potentially might be a conversion factor. However, that may be for a shrinking audience as I think Gen Z and possibly some Millennials may not even know the purpose of a toll-free number :). Personally I'd like to see a local number, but as you mentioned Darren, is it really worth the ROI. We are still debating this and the feedback helps in the decision process.

BTW, you did a great job hosting the last LocalU webinar Darren! Very much looking forward to WhiteSpark's Local Search Summit at the end of September.

Hey Jeff,

Have you found any interesting update or data about this in 2024?

We were considering running our own little experiment and measure the performance with a client, but came here looking for information first!

Hey Jeff,

Have you found any interesting update or data about this in 2024?

We were considering running our own little experiment and measure the performance with a client, but came here looking for information first!

Hey Ryan! It has been a bit since my original post, but I'll share (as best I remember) plus some fresh perspective, in my opinion, for 2024.

We did opt to change a large quantity of the more important citation sources to use a local number. We also changed the GBP to use the local number as the primary and the toll-free number as a secondary number. By having the toll-free number still associated with the GBP, but not visible, should have prevented any NAP inconsistencies from Google's perspective. I can't tell you unequivocally that changing to a local number made any direct SEO impact, but logically (for us) there was several reasons why we felt a local number was a better option and I believe these hold even more true in 2024.
  1. Previously toll-free numbers were important when long-distance calls incurred costs, and mobile plans had limited phone minutes. Today, the importance of toll-free numbers has diminished, because of unlimited calling plans.
  2. Most consumers,especially younger generations like Millennials and Gen Z want authenticity, personalization, and transparency. Another reason we opted for a local number.
  3. Toll-free numbers may still be very relevant to an older generation, so it depends on the industry and vertical. We opted to still show the toll-free number on the Contact page along with the local number, just as an option. I can't remember, but I "think" there may have been a study that showed toll-free numbers were still a positive factor when it came to customer service perception.
  4. It is becoming increasingly less common that people will even see the phone number associated with a business, especially on Google. The phone number is being replaced with a link or button to "call". However, when it is shown, it comes back to point #2 above.
  5. At the time, their VOIP provider was unable to configure their toll-free number to send and receive SMS/Text messages on their toll-free number. So that was another benefit to having a local number. However, I don't think this as much of an issue today but still something worth checking out.
  6. My original post was concerning a local business versus a national business. Our local client's business is a seasonal, adventure/travel/tourism related industry for a local destination. They attract an audience over several states, with some national/international reach. For our client, it is important to convey that they are a hyper-local business (#2 again). However, I could see a toll-free number being effective for a different industry/vertical where you want to convey an authoritative/national image.
Personally I only see a limited benefit for toll-free numbers for specific cases, #3 and #6.

I hope this helps!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU Webinar

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom