More threads by JocelynC

JocelynC

Reaction score
I run a business in my area that has the region's name and the service I offer as the business name. I registered this name in 2021 through Ontario's business registry because no one else was using it. I set up a website, GMB profile and slowly built up a reputation under this name.

In 2023, I started contracting some work to two contractors, which ended this July 2024 due to disagreements. Then they register a business under the exact same name as mine, except they put the word "Affordable" ahead of it, and they make a GMB profile under this "Affordable" version of the name. My business was already associated with the word Affordable, and it's been in the profile description, just not in the GMB name.

Their Affordable business has been around for 3 weeks, and is already accumulating reviews like lighting because I know they are soliciting reviews onsite, in exchange for a discount, asking customer to leave the review before the service is performed and before the customer leaves.

So I reported this business to Google for causing confusion with my business. Do you guys think Google will do anything, and is there an additional course of action for me? Competition Bureau?

because I know they are soliciting reviews onsite, in exchange for a discount, asking customer to leave the review before the service is performed and before the customer leaves.

Can you prove this with photos/screenshots? If so, report this to Google via the redressal form and if that does not work go directly to support with the case IDs from the redressals

So I reported this business to Google for causing confusion with my business. Do you guys think Google will do anything, and is there an additional course of action for me? Competition Bureau?

How did you report them? Google may take action if it is not a legitimate business, but you may need to report them a few times and provide as much proof as you can they are not legitimate. Highlighting the fake reviews is a good detail to add, but you will likely need to explain more, including how they are not registered in Canada with that name. Not sure what the Competition Bureau is as I am not in Canada, but if you have evidence from them this is a fake business, you can submit that to Google. Use the redressal form a few times, and then go to support directly if that does not work.

If you have a Google My Business account, you can report a company that is in violation. Go to the profile page of the company you want to report and select "Report a problem" or "Report infringement."

If you think a company's name infringes on your trademark, you can report it directly to Google using the Trademark Infringement Complaint Form: Google Trademark Complaint Form.

If the company is an actual duplicate of your company (with the same address, phone number, etc.), you can report it as a duplicate. To do this, go to the company's profile and select "Suggest an edit" and then "Report as a duplicate."

This was the reply from Google:
Please note that Google is a provider of information, not a mediator. We bring you locations, businesses, and information that relates to your search request, but we don't make any claims about the labels attached to this content. In matters involving trademark, it is best to directly address the owner of the listing or location in question. If the owner of the content in question decides to change any information pursuant to your request, that change will be reflected in the listing the next time that Google’s robots crawl the relevant source material. If you believe the content you're concerned with may be outdated, inappropriate, or erroneous, please review the following additional resources:

Today I actually had someone say, "There are two ______es" after he mistook them for each other. There are common laws here against someone copying your name to create confusion. I'm thinking of possibly sending them a letter through someone legal I hire.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU - Sold Out

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom