Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
CitationsWaveBest.png

How Google views Local citations
A detailed answer by +Bill Slawski

Ajay Prasad shared a post at the Local Search Pros Community that was originally shared by Randy Milanovic who shared what Bill Slawski had to say about the technical aspects of NAP consistency.

Google Maps is based upon a Semantic Web approach to indexing data instead of pages, on the Web The patent it was based upon was created as part of Google's Annotation project run by Andrew Hogue. I wrote about it here:

Was Google Maps a Proof of Concept for Google?s Knowledge Base Efforts?
Was Google Maps a Proof of Concept for Google's Knowledge Base Efforts?

Having a large number of web pages across the web with consistent geographic location information tells Google that the information about those businesses is likely correct,. That's the point behind NAP Consistency. Here's the abstract from that patent:

That was just a snippet, so head over to read the rest at the Local Search Pros Community.

Thanks for sharing Ajay and as always for the patent insights Bill!

What do you think? Pretty technical, but makes sense, right?

CitationsWaveBest.png

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
All I saw was the share of Bill's reply. Makes sense. NAP consistency is just to make sure Google feels like you do what they think you do and you do it where they think you do it.

Always good to hear from Bill on something.

What else did you guys take away from this?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Maintaining consistant NAP when citation sites dont allow you to write correct name ? Local Search 1
M Citation / NAP Consistency Citations 6
Gordon.Ligon SAB vs Physical Address, and its ramifications for NAP citations Service Area Businesses 7
C Cheapest Citation NAP Correction Service Citations 16
O Duplicate Citations with the same NAP NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Oliver Keates Duplicate Citations with the same NAP NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
A Minor difference in business name NAP in citations. What would the impact be? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
axiomdg Minor difference in business name NAP in citations. What would the impact be? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
L Thoughts on NAP / Citation building Quantity vs Quality ? Local Search 3
Matt Casady Will Top Storage Citation Sources Cause NAP Issues? Citations 7
Jared NAP In Comments = Citation? Citations 2
O NAP - is suit number in citations can affect local rankings? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
O NAP - is suit number in citations can affect local rankings? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Ajay Prasad Why You Need to Find All Your NAP Variations Before Building Local Citations Local Search 1
Marcus Hotel NAP & Citations Question Citations 6
M My Google+ NAP is different from all other NAP citations online Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Linda Buquet G+ Local: Dupe Citation Hunting and NAP Hunter Lite Local SEO Tools & Software 2
Linda Buquet Huge List: Acceptable NAP Variations for Google Local Citations from Whitespark Citations 3
Linda Buquet Free Local Citation NAP Research Tool from Andrew Shotland Local SEO Tools & Software 5
S NAP/Citation Question Citations 12
BWrightTLM How do I fix old citations with wrong NAP? Citations 1
Jamie Steigerwald NAP, Citations, Phones, and Suite numbers oh my... Local Search 5
R Comment Spamming NAP Citations Spam on Google 4
R Home-Based Business & Obtaining NAP Citations? Local Search 3
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
Elmer .S What is the most accurate search strings to use when doing manual citation audit? Citations 3
JohnnyM Changing Information in citations Google Local 101 1
DragonXD SEMrush and citation service in Denmark NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
JoshuaMackens Insurance Citation Sites Local Search 5
K Law Practice Buyout and Existing Citations Citations 4
sixthcitysarah What citation sites would you say are still important in 2020? Citations 10
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
F Looking for Italian citations services Citations 7
Mike Yem Automotive Department Citations Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
C Client with multiple address across citations and web properties All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
Monica Simpson Optimizing Name - do citations matter? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
Dana Franks Changing HTTP to HTTPS in citations Citations 6
Oliver Keates Looking for new citations in 2020 for the UK Citations 4
H Quick questions about citations (newbie here) Citations 2
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
bernilocal Looking for France citations service ? Citations 8
P Change of Address - Do We Update Citations? Citations 2
P Schema Markup - SameAs - Using these for citations for branches Citations 14
C Website URLs for Multiple locations in Google My Business & Local Citations Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Fake Map Listings Auto-Created by Citation Service? Spam on Google 6
Craig McBreen Citations for service area business Citations 16
V Question: Bring something to foreign citations Help & Support for Google Local 2
K Customer wants to add a tracking number across all of his Citations NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3