More threads by HappyCamper

HappyCamper

Reaction score
Hi, one of my client's ranking on local map pack went from an average of 3 on Sep 1 to 20+ on Oct 1. Any idea why and what can be done? Thanks!

Hi, one of my client's ranking on local map pack went from an average of 3 on Sep 1 to 20+ on Oct 1. Any idea why and what can be done? Thanks!
Hi, @HappyCamper! How are you measuring the drop in ranking? Are you using a local grid report like Brightlocal or PlacesScout? Is it affecting one or more keywords/phrases and what category of business is your client?

Hi, @HappyCamper! How are you measuring the drop in ranking? Are you using a local grid report like Brightlocal or PlacesScout? Is it affecting one or more keywords/phrases and what category of business is your client?

Hi @JeffClevelandTN

Yes I’m using BrightLocal search grid. The drop is in both keywords we are tracking. My client is a service based nutritionist. We have not make recent changes to the website or the GBP.

Would love to hear what you think. Thanks in advance!

Natalie

Do you have access to any other data, analytics, GBP insights, or local ranking reports? It may help to know the exact date of the decline. I am a big fan of BrightLocal, but some of their tools are subpar. I use PlacesScout for my ranking grids.

Hi @JeffClevelandTN

Yes I’m using BrightLocal search grid. The drop is in both keywords we are tracking. My client is a service based nutritionist. We have not make recent changes to the website or the GBP.

Would love to hear what you think. Thanks in advance!

Natalie

Hi Natalie, we've been seeing the same thing with multiple clients. This has been a fairly recent development for us and it may not have anything to do with your situation. Although it seems counter-intuitive, there almost always is a single spammy GBP that seems to be causing the issue. At least for us, one of two things are occurring:

1) Either a duplicate GBP has been created for the client's location that is incomplete, with barely any information and no reviews. However, the client did not create the GBP and it hasn't been claimed.
2) Very similar to #1, but a competitor GBP that is a duplicate of their primary GBP that is likewise very bare/incomplete, no photos or reviews.

We've been fairly successful in reporting these duplicate profiles and having them removed. When this happens the rankings return to normal. I mentioned "counter-intuitive" because at least in our cases, the client's GBP is very robust while the offending GBP is as bare bones as you can get with no reviews and it outperforms the client's GBP.

Again this may have nothing to do with your particular issue, but please check your Location Grid and look at the GBP "pins" and see if there are any of these rogue profiles like we've experienced which typically appear in the top 3.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom