More threads by Craig Mansfield

Reaction score
Hey I’m looking for some advice.

My client is a hair and beauty salon based in a physical salon location.

She has decided to shut the salon location and go mobile instead (Service area business). She also needs to change the trading name. It’s still the same underlying business entity. But she will no longer have the salon or offer beauty treatments. She will only offer hairdressing.

We obviously want to keep the GBP and reviews attached, but not 100% sure about the method to change the name and remove the physical location properly to make sure current rankings aren’t affected. She will be using her home address now (SAB) and we will hide this.

I’m going to be changing the domain names for the website too to reflect the new trading name.

Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Solution
One of four things happens when you edit any of the following fields:
Name
Primary Category
Address
Website
Phone number

1. The edits will immediately get published
2. The edits will go into pending review
3. The profile will need to be reverified again
4. The business profile will get suspended.

Make sure that you update one official document, Secretary of State (SOS), DBA, hair cutting license, city license as you may need them when you make any of those changes. When you move from a physical location to a new address and SAB, the rankings will change. Rankings are based on where the business is located.
Name
Primary Category
Address
Website
Phone number

Make sure that you update one official document, Secretary of State (SOS), DBA, hair cutting license, city license as you may need them when you make any of those changes. When you move from a physical location to a new address and SAB, the rankings will change. Rankings are based on where the business is located.

Solution
Name
Primary Category
Address
Website
Phone number

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. Do you have any recommended order in which I change the address/name/website url etc. do you recommend a waiting period in between each of these changes.

I think doing it one step at a time is probably a good idea to try and avoid a suspension. Taking lots of screenshots of what she has at the moment in case she does get one. Letting her know there is a good chance her account will get suspended and that she may have to start again so that she is forewarned (I'm sure you probably have already done this). Does she have many reviews that mention her by name or many photos that she features in? Can you keep a link to the former trading name on her website?

Hi Craig,
I'd suggest your former domain redirect to the new one.
Make sure the new site mentions the former name, address, that the business is going mobile, etc.
Once those are live, suggest edits to the existing profile as a user. And, as others here have mentioned, I'd roll out the updates. For instance, once the redirect is in place, suggest an edit to the website. Once the website update is approved and published, update the name, again by user suggestion.
As Google approves the edits, you should see the changes reflected in the profile manager, probably as Google updates. From that point you can change the address on the profile to a service area. You will probably have to reverify, but you will have maintained the reviews and ranking that the profile already has.

I'd redirect the site first, then update the name after Google sees the new site. I'd worry about updating the address several weeks later.

I'd redirect the site first, then update the name after Google sees the new site. I'd worry about updating the address several weeks later.

Thanks Joy, I appreciate your advice.

So just to clarify

- redirect old domain to new domain
- ensure new site has new trading name, address and phone.
- update the name on GBP to mirror that on the new site/domain
- change the address on GBP to new address (wait on card in post with core, if required)
- change phone number on GBP
- update main citations to reflect new NAP once address is confirmed on GBP.

Correct. I didn't realize the phone number was changing too. I'd be very surprised if you managed to get that all changed without triggering a suspension so make sure you have your documents ready for when you file a reinstatement.

Correct. I didn't realize the phone number was changing too. I'd be very surprised if you managed to get that all changed without triggering a suspension so make sure you have your documents ready for when you file a reinstatement.

Yes, she had a salon location within a hotel and used their area code for the phone number. She is now moving to a new salon the next town over so will be getting a new phone number area code. I assumed there would be a suspension at some point and I would need to do a reinstatement.

What type of documents do you mean? I’m not sure it’s the same in US/Canada as the USA.

But you have what is called a sole trader in the uk. The person is the business entity, but there is no government issued documents for this. It’s not like a limited company where you incorporate and have certificate/registered with the gov.

The only thing she would eventually have in the new trading name is payment processor/bank statements etc.

Legally it’s set up as

First & last name trading as (business name)

The trading as (business name) can be changed at any time.

Do you still think the order of tasks I put is the right way to do it.

Hey Joy and everyone else,

I would like to confirm something re moving reviews to a new location.

Is this always possible even if Google gives you a hard suspension on say a virtual office? Assuming, the move is handled correctly and a new listing isn't created.

First, I would recommend claiming your business on Google My Business and updating all information, including the new trading name and address.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom