More threads by Kristen

Andrew, super confused... you said

What I have to do is make the edit in Places, undo the auto abbreviation, submit, and check the edit in GMM to make sure the address conforms to the drop down. You can do this (provided you don't make edits in a dashboard). Though I don't know if the same works if you're the one to have claimed the feature but make the edit from Places (not dashboard).

In OUR world all Places edits are done IN the dashboard. That's the only way to do it that I know of.

What do you mean when you talk about how you are doing edits in Places but NOT in the dashboard?

And if you are a mapper how can you make an edit in Places without a login?

And then later you say you don't know if the same works if WE make the edit from Places - not dashboard.

I don't know how to make a Places edit without logging into the dashboard.

Where is that bang-head-on-desk icon? This is making my head hurt. :p

Hi Andrew,

So are you suggesting that a best practice would be to create a listing in Google Places with a certain address format, let's say with what is on the business website. After it has been verified, go check MM, see what the format is there and then go back into the Google Places account and make the address format match MM?

Andrew, super confused... you said

In OUR world all Places edits are done IN the dashboard. That's the only way to do it that I know of.

What do you mean when you talk about how you are doing edits in Places but NOT in the dashboard?

And if you are a mapper how can you make an edit in Places without a login?

And then later you say you don't know if the same works if WE make the edit from Places - not dashboard.

I don't know how to make a Places edit without logging into the dashboard.

Where is that bang-head-on-desk icon? This is making my head hurt. :p

Sorry for the confusion Linda. I was just describing a method that saves me an extra step to clean up the address whilst making edits via Places (for example Market Basket - Google Maps). Sometime you can't edit a business feature from GMM and need to funnel it through the Places/G+ page.

If you use the same Google account that has a Map Maker account you can see your edits made from a Places page in your Map Maker "My Edits" queue. (This doesn't work with dashboard edits apparently) You could check the address of a Places feature in GMM at any point to ensure the address conforms to the drop-downs.

Andrew, thanks again for all the great info that you share!

I was wondering, you use the word "feature" to describe things. What is the definition of a feature? What types of things are features?

Andrew, thanks again for all the great info that you share!

I was wondering, you use the word "feature" to describe things. What is the definition of a feature? What types of things are features?
I use "feature" as it easier when talking all things GMM, as it refers to all things on the Map. This allows me to use one word and apply to all things in a generic fashion. I don't use Places as to not confuse it with Google Places. I don't think there is an official definition of "feature" but its commonly used in GMM to refer to all things on the map (point, linear, polygon). Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom