More threads by Linda Buquet

No change in the verification system. Check out:
Add and verify a new business location - Business Help

Yeah I saw that. There is no change for verifying a Google Places listing. However, there is nothing mentioned about verifying a Google+ Local page. Now, to me, that looks like they will be doing away with the verification (Google+ Local pages only) since there is no mention of it. Purely speculation of course.
Upgrading your business listing to a local Google+ Page - Business Help

Quick question for you Linda. Maybe my ADHD has kicked in but I didn't notice if there was anything said about verification's on the listings. Will Google still require 1 verification for the places listing and another for the Google+ local page?

No, I don't believe so. Once the listing is verified in Places, the +Page will simply be added into the Dashboard automagically if the user has a +Profile.

There are definitely some questions about this, especially for existing pages. I think you will need your +Profile and the Places log in to be in the same account.

What will happen to "legacy" listings with custom categories?

How will ranking factors shift in the future? Will citations still be relevant in ranking factors? Will the good folks at Whitespark have to get real jobs? ;)

Now that David Mihm has taken the free agent route to SEO Moz, has the annual Local Ranking Factors survey died? We could REALLY use it now! Plus, it would be interesting to compare/contrast the survey this year to those previous.

Many advisements that G has on their Help and Forum pages since yesterday tell us that the integration process, new dashboard, "Insights", etc. will be rolled out gradually and should be fully functional and available "soon". How soon is "soon"?

Thanks Keenan good points all. The increased trust in the owner dashboard data is super important so I'm glad you brought it up.

Good catch on the check mark eagle eye! :p Not sure what happened but Google must have verified the + page automagically for me. Because when they 1st gave me the test account I didn't think it was merged. Played around, added some cats. Went back in later, noticed the check mark and went back to dash and it said it was merged. I obviously could not have done it that fast and could not have gotten the postcard at my fake address in Nevada! ;) I'm thinking possibly when they gave me the account it was already merged and I just didn't realize it or something.
So what kind of increased trust is given? I noticed the announcement said things would approve/publish faster but there would be some moderation. What kind of fail safes is Google baking into "verified" listings because it seems that all that's required to be verified is to get a phone call and confirm what's on the listing (even if it doesn't meet the guidelines).

I like the look of the new UI and wonder how it will shake out.

Jim - Google will be rolling out the new Dashboard in waves over the next several weeks (maybe a month or two). Soon you might see the message below in the Places Dashboard which I think allows you to apply for an early update.

Screen shot 2013-04-03 at 11.00.40 AM.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Linda, as an SAB, do I need to merge my places listing with G+ or do I wait for G to do it automatically? I remember months ago when I jumped the gun and created the G+ listing and went thru the verify process and then disappeared from the 7 pack. Just want to make sure that doesn't happen again. Thanks!

Laura - you should wait. I think the important thing is to have a +Profile set up in the Google Account you use to manage your Places Listing.

Once upgraded, what happens in the search results is anyone's guess, but I would not expect them to be dramatically affected.

Screen shot 2013-04-03 at 11.00.40 AM.jpg

What will happen to "legacy" listings with custom categories?

How will ranking factors shift in the future? Will citations still be relevant in ranking factors? Will the good folks at Whitespark have to get real jobs? ;)

Now that David Mihm has taken the free agent route to SEO Moz, has the annual Local Ranking Factors survey died? We could REALLY use it now! Plus, it would be interesting to compare/contrast the survey this year to those previous.

Many advisements that G has on their Help and Forum pages since yesterday tell us that the integration process, new dashboard, "Insights", etc. will be rolled out gradually and should be fully functional and available "soon". How soon is "soon"?

Patience grasshopper. All will be revealed... :p

The rollout "could' take weeks. They roll out in small chunks and subsets of listings 1st. My guess is to test and tweak as this hits live, as they go. Then as things get more stable and they have more confidence problems have been worked out, they release to larger chunks of listings at a time.

So part of the roll out (in my opinion, didn't get this from Google) I believe is just best practice for a roll out this big. It's not just like a new software program you can test in house and release. You test in-house BUT then when it hits the market, everything has to jive with maps and G+ and there are service area business issues and multi-location issues and just tons of other factors, that all need to play nicely with one another for it all to work. So you release to hundreds. Test, get feedback, tweak if necessary. Then start rolling out thousands at a time, then to bigger and bigger chunks, as things are proven stable.

Last thing we'd want is for this to rollout instantly to all and THEN we discover all problems once it hits live, right? I think they are being very smart with this rollout. NEW signups that START in the new dash are pretty easy. Start there. But with all the existing legacy accounts, and different types of business and listing situations, it begins to get a lot more complicated.

PLUS think about this. This is a HUGE rollout with millions of listings and trillions of pieces of data. It's just going to take time. How long? I don't think Google can even predict, nor would they say - because it would set expectations and you just can't predict, due to the fact there are so many moving pieces of the local data puzzle that need to fit as this rolls out.

My advice? Expect weeks. Be pleasantly surprised if it's faster than that!

FYI I've had to cancel and postpone training. Partly due to my Dad and trip and partly due to the fact that I can't train while this is still rolling out. (If some have it and some don't and training is so jam packed no time to explain, if you have the old do like this, if you have the new here's how it works, etc.) PLUS I'm going to have to totally revamp training when I get back, probably add an hour and maybe increase price.

So you think you guys have lots in the air? Trust me when I say, this update is rocks my world too. :eek: BUT it's all good and in the long run we'll be much better off once all the changes come through!

Andrew - updates faster means new pipeline, likely the same or similar to what is being used in MM.

I believe that Trust means the data from the listing manager/owner should trump whatever Google has scraped from around the web, but they didn't really elaborate, more that the recognize that the owner should know better than anyone what data is correct.

As far a compliance and verification, I imagine they think the current system is adequate. Several of us suggested they put in a Quality Guidelines acceptance process before allowing a user to complete the registration, but I don't think they were listening.

I have a client that setup a G+ business page but did not choose the local business choice but brand or organization when they made it. We were going to create a new listing under the local business page so they could start posting their weekly posts to there. Does anyone know how the different types of G+ business pages are being affected. Is it just the local business pages being controlled or all pages and does it still matter what type of page you create to get certain items to appear on the page or for the merger process?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grant - the brand and company pages in G+ have nothing to do with this, only local.

I suggest you start with creating or claiming a Places Listing, not a local +Page.

I have a client that setup a G+ business page but did not choose the local business choice but brand or organization when they made it. We were going to create a new listing under the local business page so they could start posting their weekly posts to there. Does anyone know how the different types of G+ business pages are being affected. Is it just the local business pages being controlled or all pages and does it still matter what type of page you create to get certain items to appear on the page or for the merger process?
WARNING GRANT YOU ARE INFECTED BY ADWARE. I FOUND A SCRIPT INJECTED INTO YOUR POST. Will PM you details. DO NOT POST HERE AGAIN TIL YOU GET THIS CLEANED UP PLEASE.

That has not changed. To show up on maps and search and to merge with a G+L (Place page) the G+ page still needs to be set up in the local category. And there still is no way I don't think to convert a G+ page from one type to another.

BUT that's a different topic sort of so if you want to discuss this issue further please start new thread in the G+ Pages section of the forum.

Jim - Google will be rolling out the new Dashboard in waves over the next several weeks (maybe a month or two). Soon you might see the message below in the Places Dashboard which I think allows you to apply for an early update.

chart_1.png

---------- Post Merged at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Laura - you should wait. I think the important thing is to have a +Profile set up in the Google Account you use to manage your Places Listing.

Once upgraded, what happens in the search results is anyone's guess, but I would not expect them to be dramatically affected.

What if I DO have a tripped out +Profile already set up in the Google Account I use to manage my Places Listing? Still wait?

Wow. A lot of exciting new developments. Thanks so much for the updates Linda. I'm looking forward to the new data pipeline and having changes made faster. I think that is something we could all do with!

So, this is going to take many weeks to roll out, but it's going to take even longer before it hits me (in the UK), so I'm glad to have the early warning system! :D

Nick - I don't believe the roll out is limited by geography so you might see the upgrade before any of us.

Thank you everyone for your incredible support and well wishes regarding the issue with my Dad.

At the time of the update I thought I was going to have to jump on a plane right away and disappear with maybe no Internet access. So was explaining a little so folks would know why I had to keep the update post shorter than I wanted to and may not be jumping in to answer every question, as I usually try to.

So anyway thank you all soooo much for your support! Since I now don't have to leave immediately (but will soon) I decided I should split out all the posts about my Dad and the trip into the new thread, so we can focus this one on this important update.

I moved some of your very thoughtful comments to the new thread, to keep this one on topic, and will also be updating everyone in that thread as things progress.

NEW THREAD: Linda Limited Availability Until April 19th

Thanks again for all the kinds words and now back to the update. :)

Perhaps I'm off my rocker, but this seems to indicate that the rollout will begin in the U.S.: What?s happening to Google Places for Business? Or were you specifically referring to the new data pipeline in the backend?

Yes- agreed. The rollout is beginning in the US and then gradually rolling out to other countries.

keenan: We often have to wait for the latest updates - Do you know that we still don't have Map Maker?

I'm not too fussed though as I like to see how the updates are received ahead of time and we can plan accordingly. :D

OK able to take a breath and catch up on this issue a little bit.

There is something I wanted to mention but was uncertain if it was under my NDA or could be announced yet. In playing catch up and reading all Mike's post I see he brought it up, so want to be sure you guys all know.

You guys know all the problems that "hidden merged dupes" AKA dual claimed listings can cause. Here is one of my posts about it if you aren't aware: http://localsearchforum.catalystema...g-dual-claimed-ranking-penalty-drop-like.html

I'm talking about when client claimed in another account and didn't realize it or previous SEO claimed in their account and now you reclaim over the top BUT that other account (or sometimes even multiple accounts) still retain partial control over your listing and it can wreak all kinds of havoc!

That problem is going away - Soon you won't be able to RE-claim a listing if it's already claimed in another account. So there will only be ONE owner.

YAY! This will help avoid so many problems!

See Mike's post - about the 13th image down or so: Visual Guide to the new Places for Business Dashboard

However it will create a new problem. If the listing was already claimed you'll have to go to support to prove you are the rightful owner and try to get the other account unverified.

This is part of the reason I always say in training, if something is even HINTED at in the guidelines, pay close attention and comply - even if not required! Guidelines "suggest" using a domain email. If you've used a domain like info@yourclient.com it will be easier to prove you are the owner over the guy at topseo4u@gmail

Thank you for the detailed info on this update. I know there are many people anticipating this change. What would you recommend we do in the case for a location that has a listing in Maps already? Do we claim it via "Manage this page" which is directed to the Google Places Dashboard or merge / claim the page from the Google+ Local dashboard? Right now I am heavily invested in Google Plus Local and use that dashboard for all my clients. At this point I am concerned that the new places dashboard will be more advanced with insights, offers, bulk upload, etc. Any insights is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for the detailed info on this update. I know there are many people anticipating this change. What would you recommend we do in the case for a location that has a listing in Maps already? Do we claim it via "Manage this page" which is directed to the Google Places Dashboard or merge / claim the page from the Google+ Local dashboard? Right now I am heavily invested in Google Plus Local and use that dashboard for all my clients. At this point I am concerned that the new places dashboard will be more advanced with insights, offers, bulk upload, etc. Any insights is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

No you still ideally want to set up a Place page in the Places dashboard 1st on new claims and then wait til instructed to merge G+.

Hi Cody, I never recommend claiming via "manage this page", even before this update.
It can cause unintended consequences.

For new claims you should go to http://places.google.com. Be signed into the client's Google account and hit "sign in" top right.
That will take you to phone look up to create new listing. (Note that some new signups in the US MAY see the new dashboard right away, so you may get it now possibly.)

See the IMPORTANT FAQ from Joel for more info:
More details about the improved look and feel of Google Places for Business

But also see the next important message I'm adding below.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom