More threads by Linda Buquet

FYI it's usually a bad idea to do ANY editing in dashboard during major updates.

If it were me and I still had clients - I'd be telling them everything is on hold til this update hits and stabilizes. I personally would not edit or claim right now.

But that's just me. I'm pretty conservative and gun-shy just because all I do is work with problems and untangling messes all day. So I see more the underbelly of all the potential local complications.

I realize some of you have more time and risk tolerance than I do and with some clients you just can't wait. But it could be a long bumpy ride, so be prepared.

I must say...this has got to be my favorite thing about the new update. So happy for all of the service-based businesses who may be losing out on business because they always had to hide their address!

Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 11.58.42 AM.png

Yes- agreed. The rollout is beginning in the US and then gradually rolling out to other countries.

Scratch that - I just verified a new client's listing today located in Canada using the new dashboard. Here's the strange thing: when you use the search function upon logging in to the new dashboard to find an existing listing (like the phone lookup in the old Places dashboard), the "Country" dropdown only gives an option for "United States" (screen shot attached). However, this specific business happened to have an existing (unclaimed) listing in Maps. I selected "Manage This Listing," on the live listing, and I was able to claim it using the new Places dashboard. Boy, it's sure nice to use the phone verification option!

New-Places-Dashboard.jpg

No you still ideally want to set up a Place page in the Places dashboard 1st on new claims and then wait til instructed to merge G+.

Hi Cody, I never recommend claiming via "manage this page", even before this update.
It can cause unintended consequences.

For new claims you should go to Places for Business ? Google. Be signed into the client's Google account and hit "sign in" top right.
That will take you to phone look up to create new listing. (Note that some new signups in the US MAY see the new dashboard right away, so you may get it now possibly.)

See the IMPORTANT FAQ from Joel for more info:
More details about the improved look and feel of Google Places for Business

But also see the next important message I'm adding below.

Hi Linda and thanks for the info! So in my position I want to offer my clients the social features of Google Plus Local pages. When Plus became available I jumped on it (experiencing all the common issues). Do you recommend using the places dashboard to experience less issues? I feel that Google created Google Plus for a reason and intended on people using it. So is your thought to let the bugs get worked out before using it? I feel that there is no turning back now that all may clients pages are in Google Plus accounts.

In the long-run would you surmise that the Plus dashboard will offer insights, offers, bulk uploads etc? It would be nice if there was one dashboard with all these features. Thanks in advance for your time.

Hi Linda and thanks for the info! So in my position I want to offer my clients the social features of Google Plus Local pages. When Plus became available I jumped on it (experiencing all the common issues). Do you recommend using the places dashboard to experience less issues? I feel that Google created Google Plus for a reason and intended on people using it. So is your thought to let the bugs get worked out before using it? I feel that there is no turning back now that all may clients pages are in Google Plus accounts.

In the long-run would you surmise that the Plus dashboard will offer insights, offers, bulk uploads etc? It would be nice if there was one dashboard with all these features. Thanks in advance for your time.

Hi Cody here's all I can say right now and will try to boil it down to the simplest terms because I know change is confusing for all of us.

Have listing in Places - Continue to manage in old dash or new when you get it.

Have G+ Business page - Continue to manage in G+

Already verified a G+ Business page (which merged it with the Place page) - Continue to manage in G+

Have 2 separate pages - Continue to manage separately in respective dashboards and do not verify in G+ or merge yet.

Want a G+ Business page? Go for it! Set one up in Local category. BE SURE TO USE SAME ACCOUNT Place page is in. Go ahead and start using social features. But sit tight and DO NOT MERGE YET.

Setting up brand new listing that does not exist on maps yet? Tough call. If it was me I would still set up in the Places dashboard and wait for the G+ widget and one step upgrade to G+ when it's ready.

I believe what I said jives with what Joel said in the FAQ but I'm scrambling so please let me know if anything I said is confusing or does not jive with his advice.

Joel's FAQ: More details about the improved look and feel of Google Places for Business

Want a G+ Business page? Go for it! Set one up in Local category. BE SURE TO USE SAME ACCOUNT Place page is in.

Setting up brand new listing that does not exist on maps yet? Tough call. If it was me I would still set up in the Places dashboard and wait for the G+ widget and one step upgrade to G+ when it's ready.

I think these two points are absolutely critical.

So does this mean service-based businesses will now be able to have a merged Google+ Local Business Page and Google+ Local page...or is Google still saying no to these types of businesses?

Travis Van Slooten

Not now, but soon.

Yes Travis that is correct.

It's not really going to be so much a merged page, more like an upgraded host of features available in the existing page.

They probably should have waited until the new Dashboard was complete to offer verification.

Thanks Keenan. I'll hold off then for now.

Travis Van Slooten

Not now, but soon.

Yes Travis that is correct.

It's not really going to be so much a merged page, more like an upgraded host of features available in the existing page.

They probably should have waited until the new Dashboard was complete to offer verification.

Yes- agreed. The rollout is beginning in the US and then gradually rolling out to other countries.

keenan: We often have to wait for the latest updates - Do you know that we still don't have Map Maker?

Sorry, that is correct. Maybe North America including Canada.

Nick - I think it's payback for sacking and burning our capital.

Is everyone seeing this new Dashboard. I have yet to see it in Jacksonville FL. All my clients are still the old Google Places dash. I have noticed that Jacksonville tends to be behind with Google rollouts. :(

Sorry, that is correct. Maybe North America including Canada.

Nick - I think it's payback for sacking and burning our capital.
I don't see why it wouldn't roll out to the UK unless the contract Google has with its data provider doesn't allow it for some reason. This is largely the reason Google doesn't open Map Maker up in certain countries; Google has various arraignments with data providers around the world.

Is everyone seeing this new Dashboard. I have yet to see it in Jacksonville FL. All my clients are still the old Google Places dash. I have noticed that Jacksonville tends to be behind with Google rollouts. :(

Chris it has not rolled out to anyone I know yet. I have not heard of anyone seeing it yet except those of us that got test accounts. So you aren't being left behind. :p

As we said it's a slow careful rollout. Right now at 1st, just a few new signups, then a bigger chunk of new signups, then small chunks of easier subsets, then bigger chunks. Could take weeks before we see it.

Hi Cody here's all I can say right now and will try to boil it down to the simplest terms because I know change is confusing for all of us.

Have listing in Places - Continue to manage in old dash or new when you get it.

Have G+ Business page - Continue to manage in G+

Already verified a G+ Business page (which merged it with the Place page) - Continue to manage in G+

Have 2 separate pages - Continue to manage separately in respective dashboards and do not verify in G+ or merge yet.

Want a G+ Business page? Go for it! Set one up in Local category. BE SURE TO USE SAME ACCOUNT Place page is in. Go ahead and start using social features. But sit tight and DO NOT MERGE YET.

I believe what I said jives with what Joel said in the FAQ but I'm scrambling so please let me know if anything I said is confusing or does not jive with his advice.

Joel's FAQ: More details about the improved look and feel of Google Places for Business

Hi Linda,
Your responses have helped a lot, especially after seeing the new dashboard. I also see why I have read so many times about the importance of creating Google Plus Local pages in the same account as the places pages. I am interested to see how different account situations play out since often times plus pages are not in the same account as places pages. I have some Google accounts with only Plus pages and no places pages. Curious if these are going to show up in the places dashboard. Great convo going!

Just had first new client that had the new dashboard.

Noticed something really odd. When we entered the contact info to claim the listing it didn't bring up any existing listings, even though there is an existing listing.

:confused:

Noticed something really odd. When we entered the contact info to claim the listing it didn't bring up any existing listings, even though there is an existing listing.

:confused:

Seeing a trend here .... can I assume it's a Canadian business? Today I came across a second client with the new dashboard, and it was Canadian, as well as the first one.

If it hasn't been claimed, does the "Manage this page" button appear on the live listing? I noticed that with mine, it didn't appear, possibly because I had already claimed it, implying that the feature that doesn't allow dual control could be active already. If that button is there for yours, I'm assuming you proceeded with trying that next...

On another note, my colleague (Josh Volk) and I have been wondering how in the world to remove a listing from the new Places dashboard. Google indicates that verified listings cannot manually be removed by users at this time (https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038510?hl=en&ref_topic=2794267), but what if you want to remove an unclaimed listing from your account that you accidentally pulled in? :confused:

Exciting that some of you are starting to see the new dashboard. Thanks for the heads up and reports. Keep them coming so we can all live vicariously through you! ;)

I can't comment on any of the new questions or issues that were just raised. (Because I don't know and because I'm tied up with medical issues with Dad all day.) But Google is watching this thread, so possibly someone will jump in if needed.

On another note, my colleague (Josh Volk) and I have been wondering how in the world to remove a listing from the new Places dashboard. Google indicates that verified listings cannot manually be removed by users at this time (https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038510?hl=en&ref_topic=2794267), but what if you want to remove an unclaimed listing from your account that you accidentally pulled in? :confused:

There is currently NO WAY to do so. The feature will be added sooner rather than later but for now you just have to wait.

i recall reading that multiple owners are not going to be allowed.

When we entered the contact info to claim the listing it didn't bring up any existing listings, even though there is an existing listing.

Colan - why would you be claiming a listing that is already claimed?

---------- Post Merged at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Hey Guys - Joel just asked for an example of a Canadian listing upgraded to the new Dashboard. Can you post the URL here?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom