More threads by Eric Rohrback

Eric Rohrback

Solutions
Reaction score
I might be late to the game, but I just noticed the layout change Google made to the local listings.

hubshout local snip.jpg

This is our page, but I checked multiple clients and i'm seeing the same layout. Was this the update that happened recently for local?

hubshout local snip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Eric,

Yes, this was the layout change from a couple weeks ago. Google teased us with it and then it went away.

Looks like it's back again.

Colan is right. A few weeks ago, it was briefly showing this layout, but then went away. I started to notice the new layout coming back within the last day or two, across the board. Maybe now it's more permanent, but with Google, who knows.

Thanks for reporting Eric!

Yes, this was the layout change from a couple weeks ago. Google teased us with it and then it went away.

Looks like it's back again.

Took the words right out of my mouth Colan.

Big tease! Wonder if it will stick this time? :p

Was just checking it out and for me, just like last time in FF I just get 1 column but in Chrome I get the nice new 3 column with the reviews across. Really like that layout.

On difference though. Here is the original thread when we saw this test 1st show up.

Google+ Local Display Update - New About Page Layout

That screenshot has images on left reviews far right.
Now I'm seeing map and contact info on left, reviews in middle.

I have the 3 columns in both FF and IE. Have not tried Chrome yet.

I'm seeing the same layout in both Chrome and FF for multiple clients across the country. Maybe this is corresponding with the overall layout changes Google has made (dial pad menu option, new view for Google hangouts, etc)

Interesting... I meant to say maybe we should share screen shots in case we are seeing different things, but sounds like everyone is seeing 3 columns except me with FF.

Glad it's only me, and likely temporary because having everything stacked in one column pushes the reviews WAY down and leaves tons of unused white space on both sides.

Nice spot Eric. Am seeing the new layout over here in the UK. Have tested with a number of listings on both FF and Chrome and I'm getting just 2 columns on both.

Sticks'N'Sushi - Google+ 2013-11-12 17-41-02.jpg

Sticks'N'Sushi - Google+ 2013-11-12 17-41-02.jpg

Hey guys there is also a bug I think that's piggybacking on this update.

I've been getting reports from clients about this. Most think they lost reviews, then realize the count is just off.

So I checked the Google forum and a bunch of reports are coming in.

So if you or clients think you are missing a bunch of reviews, page back and you too may find your reviews are really there, the count is just off.

Anyway we've alerted Google so they are aware. I assume it's just a temporary glitch due to the update.

Haven't noticed the review count being down but will kepp an eye out just in case, thanks for the alert.

One thing about reviews - I've got a couple of clients with 5 start reviews across the board (all real) but the aggregate score keeps showing 4.9. Anyone else see that or is it a bug that I've been slow to pick up on?

Yep. Seeing the same thing. 4.9 rating with nothing but 5 star reviews.

I also like the new/teaser layout but it seems that all Google did was move the review panel to the middle. :rolleyes:

Sorry was in rush to get to Dr. should have explained better.

The review bug is that someone had 45 reviews. They wake up today and only have 33. So they complain they lost 12. But then if you count they still have 45. So it's the total count that's off.

Here's one of several threads: More than half our reviews disappeared last night.

Interesting... I meant to say maybe we should share screen shots in case we are seeing different things, but sounds like everyone is seeing 3 columns except me with FF.

Glad it's only me, and likely temporary because having everything stacked in one column pushes the reviews WAY down and leaves tons of unused white space on both sides.

I only see the two column layout no matter what browser I'm in. :(

When this layout 1st hit a couple weeks ago I think Phil was seeing 2.

I'm still only seeing 1 in FF.

So either they are still testing or it's rolling out and still 1/2 baked.

Hey all, I believe I've discovered why some get 2 columns and others get 3: Screen Size!

Here's a random pizza place, with a windowed view (Chrome)

New!.jpg

And here's the same random pizza place, full screen.

New! 2.jpg

New! 2.jpg

New!.jpg

Thanks so much Matthew. Yes screen size def plays a part most of the time.

Except for me with FF even full screen, very large monitor I only get single column.
Ahhh but I have an idea. Off to test it.

======================================
Nope didn't work. I always use FF in a smaller window with Gmail open in full Chrome behind it. I thought maybe Google could tell FF booted in small and was reacting to that.

So went full screen. Closed FF. Opened in full screen. Still one column.

What a roller coaster! I am seeing this as well for all types of Google+ pages.

I'm seeing this layout on numerous of my clients listings.

If you have a background image loaded, it can potentially mess up the content on the left. For one of my clients, it is covering most of his address, logo, etc.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom