Christopher W

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I hope all is well :)

What are best practices when GMB doesn't have an exact category for my local business?

Currently when I trigger local pack I see 3 locations all using different categories.

Most of which do not make sense and are only, kind of, sort of, ok lol

I have always stuck with one category as it does semi-correlate with my clients services (one of the two).

I have no issues ranking local pack. I'm trying to gain an edge since there are so many hacks.

Anyone experience this before? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Christopher

DanLeibson

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I hope all is well :)

What are best practices when GMB doesn't have an exact category for my local business?

Currently when I trigger local pack I see 3 locations all using different categories.

Most of which do not make sense and are only, kind of, sort of, ok lol

I have always stuck with one category as it does semi-correlate with my clients services (one of the two).

I have no issues ranking local pack. I'm trying to gain an edge since there are so many hacks.

Anyone experience this before? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Christopher

I'm a big fan of testing in these situations. Just get a baseline of how much traffic GMB is sending to your site, and actions in GMB insights etc and play around with it. Modeling the winners in SERPs in the biggest markets as well as the biggest players in the vertical is always a good place to start in terms of what categories to test. Test which one is the primary, which one is the secondary etc. My suspicion is it's not going to matter much, if at all, but ?\_(ツ)_/?.

Durandl

Reaction score
Can you not tell us what business you're in? I guess that would be helpful to figure out an answer

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
I'll echo what Dan mentioned. If you don't have a sure-fire category to choose from, there's really no harm in testing. What's the worst that could happen? Find categories that are close to your business type, and play around with the order. Test and measure, then stick to what returns the best for you.

Reaction score
Double what Dan said. For what it's worth, Places Scout was helpful for me when gathering data to analyse for factors like that in the markets I'm interested in. It'd be overkill to use just for finding out the google categories for the 3 packs in different markets, but if you wanted to do a deeper dive while you're at it, they're awesome for that kind of thing, I know Dan and his team even used for his last local search algorithm study. Some industries just don't have great categories available though. I have no proof for this, but I suspect that in those cases, the categories aren't the factor that makes or breaks a business' rankings, since the categories Google's going to be seeing for the companies under those keywords is going to be all over the place. I feel like they'd be smart enough now to see the volatility of that signal for your industry and know not to trust it as much, but who knows.

Margaret Ornsby

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
In my experience the category is only a suggestion, not a command. I think Google know their category list is high-level, and they have chosen not to make it extensive. Other listings as well as the associated website will have a bigger impact on refining it.

So as Dan says, play around with it, but honestly don't spend a huge amount of time on it. IMHO there are a lot more things that will have a bigger impact on search results than the category.

This page contains another way to find the categories Google has available, per country:
https://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories

Last edited:

Christopher W

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I did a 90 day test with a different category and of course all it did was rank for that category :) More clicks, high bounce rate, more non relevant calls and searches etc. Pretty cut and dry.

So I'm just sticking with one and not going to worry about it.

Thanks everyone!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
rich_marlatt What is the GMB best practice for moving offices? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
djbaxter Webinar GMB Best Practices for Multi-Location Sites: Live Webinar April 14, 2021 Events 0
david.victor GMB Q&A vs your website's FAQ - Best Practices? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
G Best Practice for GMB Service Areas? Service Area Businesses 2
Annika Neudecker GMB UTM best practices for chains? Multi-Location Issues 2
K Not The Best Practice for a GMB / Citations Name Change...and I need opinions. Moving or Name Changes 3
K BEST Practices for TRACKING GMB website Click throughs? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Oliver Keates What are the best practices for increasing my GMB listing Local Search 6
Priya Chandra Those pesky practitioners - best practices on setting up GMB pages Google My Business & Google Maps 11
FriarTuck00 Best Practice for a Business that is Still Operational but Everyone Works Remotely? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
abbiebeltran Amway or Avon - Best Practice Google My Business Service Area Businesses 3
RattlingTram Best Practices for areaServed Schema Markup? Help & Support for Google Local 5
Michael S. Doran Multiple Locations Best Practices Local Search 3
P Creating Content Silo to improve Category Page (Best Practice Query) Local Content 1
Steve Wiideman Does anyone have a Google My Business claiming best practice guide? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Ben Walsh Call Tracking best practices Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
Ben Walsh Latest Best Practices For Dynamic Tracking with CallRail? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
mattrigg Best Practice - Content Assets and Linking Local Content 3
M SAB Moving - Best Practices for 2020 Recycle Bin 0
Caroline S Best Practices For Submitting Spam Edits On Google Maps? Spam on Google 2
A SAB Moving - Best Practices for 2020 Moving or Name Changes 2
B Flagging Bad Reviews By Same Person - Best Practice? Local Reviews 1
PaulSteinbrueck Best practices for blogging, evergreen content, publish dates Organic SEO 4
B Best practice for flagging keyword-stuffed business names Recycle Bin 0
PaulSteinbrueck Best Practices for Getting "Recommended" Yelp Reviews? Local Reviews 16
Ted J. Best SEO Practices for Homepage, About, and Contact pages Local Search 10
Sarah Local Search Auditing Best Practice? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
N Fake Reviews Best Practices Local Search 5
H Recent Projects Pages or "gallery" - what are some best practices Local Search 3
Chaddow Best Practice for Businesses within other businesses Local Search 4
C Best practice for flagging keyword-stuffed business names Spam on Google 3
V Best Practices - Change of Address Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Colan Nielsen Subdomain Best Practices Local Search 2
C Moving Business - Best Practices Moving or Name Changes 4
C Moving Business - Best Practices Moving or Name Changes 4
Gsmithmike What is the best URL Structure practice? Local Search 3
N Best Practice for knowing what keywords pull a 7-pack Local Search 1
frederickwebpro Current best practice for G+ "introduction" (Formerly Google Places Description) Google My Business & Google Maps 2
C Name Change - Best Practices? Moving or Name Changes 9
C Name Change - Best Practices? Moving or Name Changes 9
paulg sameAs schema best practices Local Search 6
Rich Owings Schema best practices - use sitewide or not? Local Search 10
L Best practices for multi-location business in Facebook? Multi-Location Issues 10
Lloyd Silver Best practices for multi-location business in Facebook? Multi-Location Issues 10
Lloyd Silver Any changes to best practices for real estate agents due to latest Google Local algo Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Lloyd Silver Best Practices For Transitioning Client Away From Yext Citations 28
John Tabita Best Practices for creating Google+ and/or Google+ Local Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet 7 Best Practices for Communicating with Local Search Clients Consultant's Corner 0
MiriamEllis Local Troubleshooting Best Practices Google My Business & Google Maps 18
RobinOctane All in One Google Login Best Practices? Google My Business & Google Maps 4